the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Greetings from Canada (2492 hits)
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-04-20 04:29 Edited 2009-04-27 01:35
Hi All, I'm new to the site having just joined tonight and posted my buggy in the X-files. Hopefully Someone can ID these as I own one and just sold my other one last fall. I've been active with air-cooled VW's for 22 years now and have owned and slalom raced my buggy for 15 years. I work as and automotive tech and worked at a VW restoration shop for 3 years.

I'm just in the middle of a complete rebuild. After years of doing a bit here and a bit there, I'm doing everything the way I've always wanted. The car has a king and link front end narrowed 3 inches and IRS torsion housing in the rear and everything in the middle is custom made. I use a bunch of formula vee parts in the front to make it turn better. the rear has larger torsion bars and a swaybar. I've done a 4 wheel disk brake conversion this time around and added a bias valve and line lock to the front circuit. The biggest improvement has been increasing the displacement from a 1776 with 041 heads a 110 cam and single 44 Weber to a 2332 with CB Performance crank, H beam rods, 044 heads 130 cam and dual 44mm carbs. We'll have to see how the stock tranny holds up, for this summer anyways. I still haven't decided on wheels as I've gone from wide 5 to 4 bolt. I have a set of old steel sprint stars that will probably get widened to 6 and 8 inches, although I'd love to get a set of centerlines, too much $$$$$

I've done everthing myself except for the transmission, and the frame was built at a friends shop with a great deal of help from a couple friends. I'm doing all my own bodywork including a lot of fiberglass mods and repair including chopping the 'glass roof 5 inches, but will have another friend put the final coat of paint on for me in exchange for converting his pan to IRS

I've had countless offers to buy my buggy but wouldn't part with it for anything. Too much time and love put into it and I get more smiles to the mile from it than any car or truck I've ever owned

Cheers
brad

By John S 2 Date 2009-04-22 02:32
Brad,
More pics more pics more pics......

I love the stance on your buggy.
I think I know a guy with the same kit.
John
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-04-24 00:43 Edited 2009-04-27 02:07
Hi John,

Any idea on manufacturer of the body??? It's the same as Glassers. I got the chassis back from the powder coaters on Tuesday (Apr,21) and took a bunch of shots with the finished pedals and rear suspension attached. I've loaded them into my build thread

brad
By Glasser Date 2009-04-29 16:45
Hey good to see you here Brad. Check out Kijiji in Edmonton. Another one of our body styles is being sold there.
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Other-Street-Legal-Dune-Buggy-W0QQAdIdZ120136283

I know of 5 now but still can't find any info on the body other than it's Alberta made, the guy that did the bodies has passed on and the mold is MIA. Still looking, will keep you informed!

Brent
My build up. http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=1761
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-05-01 01:40
You know whats really freaky about the one on Kijiji is that we have the one body style and the other is the same body that my buddy Todd is using for his build...although it wasn't in near as good of shape as that one. He took the raised portion of the hood and lowered it to be flat and got rid of the built in headlights and is using traditional lights. The only problem was that he didn't lay the fender back enough and the room between the hood and fender is very tight

On the way to my shop last Saturday I spotted another of our style buggies sitting in a drive way. For years there was only a couple of buggies in the city now they're everywhere.

I was on the board at lunch and showing the guys at work your car, you managed to impress some VERY diehard Ford guys. they especially liked the shot of it on the trailer sans windshield and roll cage.

brad
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Greetings from Canada (2492 hits)