the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / Seeking SR2 parts,...top or convertible frame? (3773 hits)
By mark m 1450 Date 2009-03-14 19:50
New member here, I saw someone had a convertible top (uninstalled) with a manx sr FS so I thought Id ask, what cabriolet or convertible top frame would go on one that would really work?? also seeking a targa top for mine or sourcing a repro targa panel.  Also, where can I source any upgrades for IRS pan mods like Porsche parts and what works easily??  and lastly, does the manx SR2 need the rear panel of the targa for rigidity as it seems that it would be very cool as a totally topless car and use rear seat area just padded whole rear bench area and seat back...? scwhite59 at yahoo dot com for leads or comments.  Cheers mates!!
By Rick M 333 Date 2009-03-15 20:05
Hi Mark, welcome to the boards. The "convertible" top really goes with the targa portion. It's nothing more than a snapped on canvas to cover between the targa and the windscreen. There is a piece that helps hold the canvas' shape - two end pieces that bridge the gap between targa and windscreen, and a length of conduit pipe between them. I haven't used nor installed mine yet, as I have the hard top piece for the convertible. I haven't given any thought to sell it though...the canvas itself has shrunk and I was going to use it as a pattern.
  As for do you need the targa? Well....there's been a guy in New Jersey trying to sell an old SR2 that doesn't have the targa portion and he can't get rid of it. The targa, to me, makes the car and does help with holding the two body panels rigid. Whether you can get away with out it...don't know. Kinda makes the car look a little weird to me.
  Porsche 944/924 spindles and brakes are common upgrades. Too involved with outlining all the little pieces here, so do a general web search on Porsche/VW component swaps and follow the links!
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / Seeking SR2 parts,...top or convertible frame? (3773 hits)