the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / a newbie w/ lots of ???? (4290 hits)
By Jason G Date 2008-11-30 16:46
I just picked up what I am sure is a Joe Poty Sand Rover T Bucket (will post pics soon). How can I date a pan that has been cut down and the vin # removed? Where would the Joe Poty tag info be found? Can you help me ID the engine yr and size? and it seems I have a wicked rear camber issue \-/ ,Would a EMPI camber compansator fix this?
Other than that she's running great, reg'd and insured, and people here in CT think I've lost my mind when they see me bundled up behind the wheel. Thanks a bunch and glad to be here!
Jason G
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-11-30 23:32
Its not teal in color is it? I saw one for sale in southern CT over the summer, bht they wanted a hefty sum for it. Plus the place I saw if at was selling it on consignment, so his mark up was on it. Just curious if it was the same buggy or not.

The camber compensator will not correct a severe issue like you have. The only way to compensate is to adjust the torsion bars. Go to the "How To" section here on the DBA and have a look. There's an article written on how to do the adjustment.

The camber compensator only really keeps the axles from dropping in a hard turn, they won't really force the axle "up" against the spring... it's just not strong enough to overcome the torsion spring.

Hope this helps,
Jay

P.S. can't wait to see pics.
By Jason G Date 2008-12-01 04:13
Thanks Jay,
The "how to" seems to refer to rasing the rear for off road. I think my girl needs to be lowered just a bit as the bottom of the back tires sorta tuck under the engine and the tops point outward. could I use the same "how to" in reverse? Also she's riged with air shocks in the rear, I've tried adjusting from 30lbs to 130lbs and back again and I dont see or feel much of a differance. Any thoughts????

Its not the teal one you saw this summer, the tub is grey metal flake w/ a white soft top and rear bed cover, I picked her up off of craigs list (even trade for a 99 dodge minivan W/140k) I bought the wife a Volvo wagon and she said I could do what ever I wanted w/ her old van. Yipppe!

Still hoping th ID the engine size and yr (size more so) and ID the pan just to satisfy the cat.

By Sandman 2049 Date 2010-02-18 00:21
I know this is an old post but the ID tag for the Joe Poty Sand Rover T is behind the peddles in the upper left corner.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-02-18 00:53
Dale,

Where are you located?

I believe Joe Potty had multiple manufacturing locations (licensed) so it may be possible to find variations on tag location. I can't say for sure that there are, but the possibility exists. I can't recall noticing any tag on the Potys I've seen, but now I'll have to keep an eye out.... and I'll be looking near the pedals now! Thank you.

Jay
By Sandman 2049 Date 2010-02-18 01:24 Edited 2010-02-18 01:27
I am in southern Ohio. Mine is an east coast. Out of Charlottsville , Va. The tag is just to the left of where the steering column goes through the fire wall.
  All this is pretty new to me but I know I am having a hard time finding info on these myself. Right now I am in need of some mirrors and maybe some good pics to show a few different ways of mounting them. I was also wondering if anyone is using the chrome edge gaurd on the fiberglass body and what size they might be using?
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Model disscussions / a newbie w/ lots of ???? (4290 hits)