By Rick M 333 Date 2008-10-04 23:26
I was finally able to tune my buggy to where it seems happy running now. I had some issues initially with balancing the carbs (twin Weber) and jetting...but I went back to basics and followed point by point instructions in my Weber manual. What a difference! Took it out for a ten mile roundabout "break-in" period tonight with only one medium issue. For those guys who have the fiberglass roof panels - figure out some way to secure the front, even though it fits into the windshield frame. At 70mph, my panel literally exploded off the windshield frame, ripping the latches that held the rear right out of the panel. Very fortunately it flew across the divider (two lanes each way) and landed in the breakdown lane on the other side of the road. Retrieving it, the failure revealed itself as the entire length of the rolled edge failed and ripped from the panel. Not good....not good at all. So, back to the drawing board to re-build and reinforce the edge, and to figure out a latching system for the leading edge. Not to happen again!
Photos to follow. I'll be detailing it tomorrow (Sunday) to get it ready for a year-end show in the afternoon.
By Kustoms Date 2008-10-05 03:15
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-10-05 13:32
That's pretty much what I had at the rear, Tom. It was the front edge that failed. Those clamps are a little hefty for the windshield frame!
By Kustoms Date 2008-10-05 13:36
They come in different sizes. You can have them grab the under side of the windshield frame. You can also use a draw latch.
By Kustoms Date 2008-10-05 13:46 Edited 2008-10-05 13:53
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-10-05 15:38
Hmmm...I like the SouthCo's undercenter arrangement since the bottom of the frame is below the top. I'll have to check that out. Thanks, Tom!
By Kustoms Date 2008-10-05 15:59
The under centers are the units we used to use for the pickup truck convertible conversions. They work great.
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-10-07 00:57
Ok, here are some finish photos as promised. A few little details to attend to, like buffing out the paint in a few small areas that need it a little more, but otherwise she's 99% done. Enjoy!
Oh, and here's the "BOOM!" pic of the edge of the hardtop:
By Kustoms Date 2008-10-07 12:24
Looks great Rick. You forgot to add numbers to the license plate. Tell us about the door rams.
By GreenManx Date 2008-10-07 13:08
funny i know of a blue sr under tarps in the back of some guys shop
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-10-07 17:50
Thanks, Tom! coming from a guy with your skills, that really means something to me - I'm just a backyard mechanic. The rams are linear actuators from Firgelli Automation. If I were to do it again, I'd probably mount them straight up and down going from the hinge plate to the lower part of the bodywork like the build manual states. As it is, I've got them mounted to a small extension on the hinge assembly so I can slide the entire thing in and out as one unit. I purchased what I thought would be more than sufficient to lift the doors (http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=13) but they still need a little incentive to start moving upwards. Coming down isn't quite as bad, but the weight of the door will tend to overrun the actuator and they will slam down at the last few inches. Weird...the door only weighs like ten pounds. I'll have to change the system once I get the windows worked and finished up. That will easily add another 15 pounds overall. Maybe I'll just add a vertical gas strut and see how that works...I'm quite a ways away from finished windows!
The license plate...I hate it when PA forgets the letters!
By John S 2 Date 2008-10-08 00:57
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
Powered by mwForum 2.10.2 © 1999-2007 Markus Wichitill