the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / Installing window panels and top (7877 hits)
By John H 1095 Date 2008-08-07 04:36
Anyone have helpfule hints about installing the window panels and top panel. I have the brackets but nothing is currently attached. The car is a KARMA SR 2.
Thanks,
John
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-08-08 02:37
Hi John,
I'm currently re-doing my windows, but I can at least shoot you a photo of the brackets attached to the frame if that's what you need. The top on mine also doesn't fit quite right, so that's undergoing surgery as well. A couple tops were made; mine has a lip at the front that slips into the windshield frame leading edge. If yours has that, then at the back I was going to use simple cam style cabinet latches.

R
By John H 1095 Date 2008-08-09 03:33
Rick,
Thanks. I would like to see the pics, jhuntwork@hotmail.com. Also what hardware are you using for attaching the brackets. I appreciate the info.
-John
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-08-10 18:49
John, I'll get those photos to you as soon as possible. The brackets are attached to the window frames with bolts right through the frame. Not pretty, but it works. I'm not sure how I'm going to wind up fixing the brackets to the doors...probably some larger Riv-Nuts with a knob and captured bolt.
By Kustoms Date 2008-08-11 12:50 Edited 2008-08-11 13:00
Just a little bit of info. The brackets should be VW Thing window brackets. You can get nice looking rivets to attach them. Check out "The Thing Shop". http://thethingshop.com/default.asp I did not see any listed but I know Larry has them.

By Rick M 333 Date 2008-08-11 18:32
Huh...there must have been a few variations, Tom. I've got solid cast alumium pieces that follow the interior door panel contour exactly:

The leading edge (to the left of the full photo) of the window "frame" will slip into the slot of the windshield frame once it's fitted correctly, the rear simply overlaps the front of the targa band, assumably with a small rubber gasket as a buffer.
By Kustoms Date 2008-08-11 19:20 Edited 2008-08-11 19:43
Wow, I have never seen those. Do you think they are purpose made or are they an adaptation from something else? It looks like they get screwed in to place. How easy are they to remove? I have seen several with the Thing pins and they work rather well. It just goes to show; there is always something new to learn.

We should start an SR part identification thread for hinges, pins, brackets, seats lights and such.

Edited to add this.

I just read my SR II build manual. It sounds like they could be talking about them. It does not seam like they would be removable though. Here is the page.
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=901

I could not get the page to work by its self. Its on page 60 of the SR PDF
By Kustoms Date 2008-08-11 20:01
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-08-11 21:12
There you go - Karma part 4-106, (2) sets. They do state you can use threaded rivets (Riv-Nuts..) to make them removable from the door panel, which is what I eventually intend to do. A parts identifier might be a good idea, Tom!

The little red stain....nothing morbid - just a splotch from some house stain from being in storage!
Previous Next Up Topic Dune Buggy Models / Manx SR and SR2 / Installing window panels and top (7877 hits)