the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / FunFest Dune Buggy Build / Buggy Build buggy Wheels and Tires work continues.... (17976 hits)
By John S 2 Date 2008-07-21 02:52 Edited 2008-08-03 17:46
Question for you guys,
I need to make some changes to get the Buggy Build done. I have 12 days to work on whats left to get done.

What do you think I should do with about the master cylinder. Should I try to re route the lines and use a Volvo resivor? Or should I drill a couple of holes and mount the master cylinder on the inside of the tub.

I think it was Jay's buggy that has it inside. Right Jay?

Also I have problem with front axle beam.....again....

Could we have the leaf stack out  of position a quarter turn? Is it possible with a BJ beam???
I have 8 inches above the tires to fender and the adjustable beam is at full lowered stop.????

Advice??

Also had a problem with the rear wheel that wouldn't hold air. Turns out the rim had a flaw, it has a leaky weld.
Still waiting on a replacement from AR. They said it would probably ship Monday so maybe I'll have it by Wed.
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Kustoms Date 2008-07-21 12:52
Jay and my self did the stack. I am sure it is correct. They only go in one way. You could cut some Leaf's. That will soften it.
All you have to do on the master is remove the rear line, reroute and shorten it. We did not have a bubble flare handy to do it right.
By yellermanx y 25 Date 2008-07-21 17:45
The Volvo reservoir is definitely the way to go.

Is it possible you have a raised beam instead of the lowered one you wanted?  Plus the way the Berrien chassis is built in the front it gives you a couple inches of lift.

8" of clearance sounds about right to me. :-)
By John S 2 Date 2008-07-21 21:05
Thats what I am afraid of. I had hoped there was a chance that it could be a quarter turn off.
I have only worked with LINK front ends prior to this one.
The Mid America catalog has three beams listed.
One stock no adjusters.
One with 4" of lift.
One with 4" of drop.

I have 8" above the 15" tires. If I use the other set I bought with 14" low profiles on it it will be even more.
With the adjuster cranked I can probably get 14 or 15" of clearance between the front fender and the tire.
That is if it will travel that far. There are no bump stops so I think it will.

Maybe I should just rethink this and go for an Off Road look.
founder
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-07-22 13:35
Sorry... been away from the computer for the last two days. Yes, my MC is mounted inside the "firewall" but that's because I did that before I knew about the Volvo trick or I would have done it that way.

Jay
By Gary W 365 Date 2008-08-02 01:01
Any idea on the exact sizes. I just picked up a full set of widened wide 5 wheels . Goin the the nostalgic look with my Berrien NOSTALGIA  Buggy hard top and all.  Thanks for any info.  Gary
By John S 2 Date 2008-08-03 17:44
Here two version from Mickey Thompson

Mickey Thompson Mini Mags .... http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/off-road.php?item=MiniMag

Mickey Thompson Baja Pros ... http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/off-road.php?item=BajaPro
founder
By Gary W 365 Date 2008-08-04 00:16
Hey John, Thanks for the effort but the mini mags are to narrow and the others are not for street use.
I've got awhile before I am ready for tires. I'll figure something out. Hope to see you at the BUG OUT.
By John S 2 Date 2008-08-05 04:33
So did you find the rims you were looking for???
Sorry I never got you a pic.
John
founder
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2008-08-05 21:55
Hey John -Did you have 8 inches of clearance over the front tires with you in it or standing next to it measuring the clearance? Had to ask!  That's great clearance for the dunes, but a bit much for the street.  Cutting the front bars is not too difficult.  I'd get it on the road first and see what the ride is like.  If its rough, cut some bars.  But get it on the road before cutting anything.

Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By John S 2 Date 2008-08-06 05:15
Under it. :-)

I still have the feeling the set screw is in the rotation screw hole and the whole thing is a quarter turn out.
It just looks like it when you look at it.
I might crack it open for a look in two weeks.

This weekend is Ohio. Next weekend is Soap Box Derby!
John
founder
By John S 2 Date 2008-08-07 01:52
We have the buggy all zipped up and from the front the trailing arms are not in the same position??

How could this be????

The leaf stack couldn't be twisted could it???

It looks like 10 degrees higher on the pass side than the driver side???

I'll get some photos tomorrow.

What should I look for???
founder
By yellermanx y 25 Date 2008-08-07 02:17
Does it have bushings or does it have bearings in the front torsion tubes?  Do they move freely both sides, no binding?  Your twisted leave stack is plausible also.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-08-07 11:41
Geez John, I was thinking it could be a twisted frame head, but that was until I remembered it was a berrian chassis. You aren't measuring the trailing arm distance to the fiberglass are you? I know I have one fender that sits a little lower than the other. Its much more pronounced when the tub is closest to the tires... then it really looks off. I'm wondering if it's just visual or if its actually off.

Jay
Previous Next Up Topic Public / FunFest Dune Buggy Build / Buggy Build buggy Wheels and Tires work continues.... (17976 hits)