the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / new ignition (4675 hits)
By mini volks Date 2008-05-08 00:38
got my new igniter ignition installed.  runs smoother, but died on me 15 minutes into the drive.  Had to retard the timing to get running.  It seems the hotter the engine gets the more it konks out.   does this make sense?  I wonder if the breaker I put in the line off the battery is tripping then resetting after it cools down.   make sense? running great then sputtering dead to the side of the road in rhode island.  
By Sandsurfer Date 2008-05-08 01:51
Is the breaker in the ignition circuit?
Jerry....
By mini volks Date 2008-05-08 12:33
no, it is right of the battery
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-05-08 19:43
In that case, you'll know if its that breaker if everything that is electrical is not working when it dies. If even your parking lights are working it proves the breaker is closed providing electricity.

Jay
By mini volks Date 2008-05-08 20:16
I wonder if the advance mechanism is hanging up?  I'll give it more time, then try vacuum advance distributor.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-05-08 20:59
How do your points look? I wonder if the heat might be affecting how the contact is made on your points. Are they new? If old did you sand them with sand paper? File them with a jeweler's file? Sandpaper can leave small granuals that will pit over time, causing headaches. (That's if the points are not wiped clean after "truing" the contacts)

Jay
By domorr Date 2008-05-09 00:06
Ok, You put a new igniter ignition. What type of coil are you using? if it is a standerd black coil or a look alike bosch blue coil. I would get ride of them and use a flame thrower or a coil that matches your new ignition.
By Mel Adjusted Date 2008-05-09 00:20
The way your talking about quit running sounds like the coil. When a coil gets hot it breaks down and engine no runee. You might want to install a new condensor while your at it..Cheap insurance.
At my age.. Everything I buy comes with a lifetime guarantee..
http://mel-adjusted.zoints.com/
By mini volks Date 2008-05-09 02:17
brand new ignitor coil and ignitor pick up inside the distributer.  the directions say if it stalls then there must be a weak point in the wiring causing the coil not to see 12 volts and shuts down.  then it will start again till it gets hot or the coil cant see 12 volts.  I will put a meter on it to see.,  almost didn't make it home tonight.  then it decided to run and got me home.   I am shaking my head back and forth.   go figure.  I will stay on it,  thanks for your suggestions.
By Jeffrey P 655 Date 2008-05-09 02:18
I second the coil idea. Check it when it dies. It might be REAL hot.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / new ignition (4675 hits)