the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Corvair Power / Need to ID my Corvair engine. (6454 hits)
By Kellison Jim Date 2008-10-21 03:05
Well I'm almost finished tearing down my Corvair powered Kellision Super T and was just wondering which corvair engine I have? I've had a couple of buddies suggest that I put a VW engine back in it, but I would really like to get this Vair running. Any help would be great!

Kellison Jim
By Steve L 858 Date 2008-10-21 13:45
Looks to be an early model (EM) 1961-1964.  There will be a code stamped into the top of the block that will help.  It is located on top near the generator and oil fill just next to fan shroud....no need to take shroud off though you may have to clean this area to see the code.  Should be some letters and numbers.  Also, the heads will have a number.  Report back what you find and we'll see if we can pin-point what you got there.

Steve
By Bob E #19 Date 2008-10-21 20:10
I'd agree the generator dates it, alternators came in 65+ cars.

I'd try to get the Corvair running myself?

Good luck with it.
Boston Bob E
www.bimelliott.com - www.the-bug-club.com - www.deserterownersgroup.org
By John L 1232 Date 2008-10-31 20:47
Hi Jim

Looks like you have an early model engine. I am not sure if you are going to like that carb on the engine. I believe that the carb is way to big and that Carter is going to be tough to get parts for as well as run right. You could have a turbo engine but that relates to the engine block numbers behind the oil pressure switch. Might have to remove crud. If you you would probably be happy with just carbs, one on each side. I have heard that the intake that you have is really not suitable for this type of engine.
You can contact me at vair_65@yahoo.com if you like

John Luscinski
Previous Next Up Topic Engines / Corvair Power / Need to ID my Corvair engine. (6454 hits)