the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy ID Help needed - X-Files / Molds? bodies? please help me identify these (31240 hits)
By NICOLE K 1191 Date 2008-09-28 00:43 Edited 2008-09-28 23:58
My husband and I have been cleaning out our woods and found what we believe are dune  buggy molds (maybe bodies, not sure). We have no experience with dune buggies and have no clue where to start identifying these. Will you please help us. Here are the first 4, there are still more but we just started pulling them out. the last one is smaller than the rest. We realize that they need cleaned up and checked out better. Thank you so much for your help. Maybe we will have a new hobby with one of them:)

thanks,
Nicole
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-09-28 02:02
Hi Nicole.
From the pictures they all appear to be molds. Have a look though at the surface. is the smooth surface on the underside of all the bodies as pictured? It looks to me like the pictures all show the rough side. It appears that way, because very little detail is showing. It could be though, that the gel coat was inferior and broke down from years in the elements, and what we may be looking at is the first layer of fiberglass.

More info on if there is a smooth side will help a lot. If the smooth side is on the back side as pictured.... I would want to see what they look like from the other side!

Jay
By Kustoms Date 2008-09-28 17:19
They look like molds to me. I really like the last one. Can you post more photos? How many do you think you have? A clue to the company that made them would be your location.
By NICOLE K 1191 Date 2008-09-29 01:46
Sorry it took me so long, I have been pulling all of these things out of the woods and trying to download all of these pics.
Yes on the original 4 pics they are smooth on the bottom, fiberglass on top. I took some pics pf the bottom of one of them, can do others if needed.
On some of the ones we found today some of them are like the first ones, then others are smooth on top, fiberglass on bottom. There looks like there are a few finished parts and one finished body(it is smooth all over).
We are in middle TN.
I think that there are 10 bodies that I took pics of, there are 3 of the one that looks kind of like a truck.
Here is a link to the rest of the pics, warning there are 40 something of them. I can take more specifics if needed.
Thank you all so much for your help.

http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc331/GARCOLDAD/dune%20buggy%20parts/

Nicole
By Kustoms Date 2008-09-29 02:06
Wow, That is some collection. The last photo in the above shots is a 2 seat go-kart body. There is even a single seater in the photo bucket. You even have a mold for a midget racer body. I love the hard top molds. Do you have any back ground on them. They look rather well made. Feel free to give me a call on these. I think I can help to get them in to production. 1-877-338-8746 Tom
By Genom Date 2008-09-29 03:04
Wow, thats quite a find. Among the bodies it looks like you have all the molds to make a Kellison pickup buggy including the hardtop.
By John S 2 Date 2008-09-29 12:53
Okay lets take each kit one at a time and solve the puzzle.
Mini buggy first.
This mold ...

Makes what appears to be a 2 seat version this body....

Which looks like this finished.
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By John S 2 Date 2008-09-29 13:02 Edited 2008-09-29 13:04
Okay now the Mini T Four style body...

Would have used this mold for the firewall underbody of the buggy.

Which builds a dune buggy body that looks like this .....

And should have a third part mold for the rear engine cover that looks like a spare tire.
founder
By Bill K 96 Date 2008-09-29 13:11
Holy cow!  It looks like you struck the mother load Nicole.  Wasn't Honest Charley's Speed Shop located in Chattanooga, Tennessee?  I believe they were one of the largest mail order houses around back in the day. Maybe these molds were from a line of bodies they were carrying.---Bill
By John S 2 Date 2008-09-29 13:11
Okay lets go to body#7 this one is tougher to determine from the picture until I saw the hood out in the grass.
This mold tub ...

uses this hood mold ....

and this dash mold laid up then bolted to it.....

To make this dune buggy body....

founder
By John S 2 Date 2008-09-29 13:23 Edited 2008-09-29 13:29
Now we are seeing a pattern here...... :-) is the suspense building yet???

This body mold and it looks like there might be two stacked on top of each other !!!

Used this underbody tub mold......

And this top mold .....

To produce this dune buggy body .....

Which finished looks like this ....

founder
By John S 2 Date 2008-09-29 13:33
The other top mold and the "Hill"billy top molds in this picture are also a match to the catalog.

This is definately a splash mold and I don't think it looks like it has ever been used.
It's never been trimmed.
founder
By John S 2 Date 2008-09-29 13:39 Edited 2008-09-29 14:04
The standard buggy bold molds are the ones that I would really need to see the tail end of the mold to know what body style they are.
They could be any Manx style clone as all these bodies appear to be molds from Hill Engineering
or splashed copies from Hill Engineering.

They were discovered about 2 hours away from the original Hill Engineering location.
This means they could be either the stash from when Hill closed down.

Or they could have a old fiberglass builder in the family that copied a bunch of Hill's bodies.

The funny thing there is Hill copied almost all of the designs they sold from Kellison.

And we all know the original Kellison buggy was a copy of Bruce's.

Someday I would like to draw a family tree for dune buggy manufacturing, but I think there would be too many unknown branches.

Very awesome discovery.
founder
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-09-29 16:25
Wow John,
I was hoping to have a look at the underside and see if I could put the pieces together. Looks like you beat me to it. :-)

I guess that answers the question Bodies or molds, LOL.

Good work. :-)
Jay
By NICOLE K 1191 Date 2008-09-29 19:30
John- Thanks you are great!
This is fun! Who knew what looked like a pile of junk would turn out to be a treasure:)
Now it looks like I need to get to cleaning.

Yes the truck bodies are stacked- there are 3 total.
Here are the backs of bodies 2 &3, I wll have to get 8 later.

BACK OF #2
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc331/GARCOLDAD/DSCF7094.jpg

BACK OF #3
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc331/GARCOLDAD/DSCF7093.jpg

Thanks so much!
You all are wonderful!
Nicole
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-09-29 20:19
John, your powers of deduction are astonishing. Great piece by piece identification. I got really excited when I saw that Mini-brute... I thought it was larger than it actually is. The long narrow hood must go to that mold. Great find, Nicole! What are your plans for them?
By Jim G 970 Date 2008-09-29 21:07
wow! you struck the mother load! lol Please what ever you do, dont junk these. I would kill to have one of the mini bodys for my son.
By Kustoms Date 2008-09-30 01:39
Lets not forget the midget racer.

By Kustoms Date 2008-09-30 01:48
Oh, I have a chop gun!
By Rick M 333 Date 2008-09-30 02:00
:-) Toms Custom Midgets?
By mini volks Date 2008-10-01 11:31
we don't have to check out girly pics any more.  we have the dune buggy centerfold!! 
By Bob E #19 Date 2008-10-01 18:37
Shep, you're beginning to scare me on the whole buggy ID thing, , , awesome, ,  in a CSI kind of way.

Bob E
Boston Bob E
www.bimelliott.com - www.the-bug-club.com - www.deserterownersgroup.org
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2008-10-01 18:48
Nicole,
This is a huge find for those of us in the buggy hobby. How about more info? How long have you lived in the house before you started clearing out the woods and stumbled across these molds?

Did you and your husband just buy your home and had no idea this stuff was out in the woods in the back?

This could be one of those "Barn Find" stories you always hope are still out there somewhere. :-)

Jay
By NICOLE K 1191 Date 2008-10-02 00:14
We bought the property about 10 years ago, we have actually moved a few of them a few times, but never really paid that much attention to them. A year ago we contacted the person who left these things here(along with a bunch of  junk, unfortunately) and he wanted to buy a few of them from us(which made us happy because we had to pay to have all the other stuff to be taken off), he came and got 3, never paid us and now won't return our phone calls, so I can't find out any more info.

We bought the land from a family member so we knew there was some cleaning up to do. At the time we had no idea there was such a treasure here:)

We are talking about keeping one or two for our boys and selling the rest, I will definitely keep you all posted. I'm so glad that I found you all. Thanks again for your help.

Nicole
By NICOLE K 1191 Date 2008-10-26 01:51
I just thoguht that I  would let you all know that I have put the mini buggy mold on ebay. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250314734181&category=133220null&viewitem=

I am working on the others. I will let you know as I get them posted.

Thanks!
Nicole
By NICOLE K 1191 Date 2008-10-26 02:53
By NICOLE K 1191 Date 2009-03-08 14:40
I have put the rest of these on craigslist if anyone is interested. Here is the link:http://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs/1065306296.html
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy ID Help needed - X-Files / Molds? bodies? please help me identify these (31240 hits)