the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Sand Shark 772 would like to build a chassis! (2873 hits)
By firea100 Date 2018-12-11 17:58
Good afternoon to all!
I'm Larry, screen name firea100. I have a Sand Shark body serial number 772. Poor shape, but willing to restore it. I have NO chassis but want to build one. I need help picking one out. I have certain requirements in mind that I want in my chassis. I'd like the IRS type rear end NOT the older style swing arm system. Also, I'd like the "ball joint" type of front suspension. After that, i'm open to suggestions. So, my question is, with the items I've mentioned, what year floorpan do i start with? I understand that I'll have to shorten the chassis/pan. I live in Michigan but am willing to travel, or have what I need, to be shipped. Thanks in advance for any and all help and Merry Christmas!!
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2018-12-14 19:03
give some time for folks to react.  I have a couple questions for you that might also help others to answer your Questions.
What are the Department of Motor Vehicle rules in your state for doing a dune buggy or "kit car"?  Will they let you register it based on the chassis(vw) that you use? Will they class it as a modified vehicle?  Will they require you to "prove" up ownership on major components, and then Assign your vehicle a vin?  Just some things to think about and find out about.  You are starting with just a body, so knowing what the "rules" are may help you in your build.  I have heard that there is a "chassis" maker that makes for dune buggy(not rail style), That might be a route to look at, then have a VIN assigned to the "built" vehicle.   Just my uneducated thoughts.
By Bugvert 81 Date 2019-01-01 22:56
1968 to 1977 standard beetle
By Michael T 1299 Date 2019-03-21 22:35
I had some advice to offer but realized OP never came back. Zombie thread?

To be sure it's IRS I would suggest 69 to 77. 68s had IRS if they were autostick but then add complication of converting to standard.

Mike T
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2019-03-22 15:42
By his email address, I think he is up in Canada(?)  Quite possibly dealing with lots of weather.  All advice given, helps others even if the OP does not come back.
By Michael T 1299 Date 2019-03-24 23:43
Hello Larry.
Find and buy a Beetle with a clear title for a donor. This way you have a parts source and a title for your build. Transfer the title into your name right away to avoid any surprises with paperwork. Not necessary to buy a good one either as you won't be using the body anyway. No need to destroy a good beetle. If you want to use the beetle chassis for your build you have it. If you want to buy a pre built chassis you have a donor title to use in the Special Construction should your state require it. Michigan requires Dune Buggys to be titled as Assembled Vehicles.

Here is the link for that document.

There are at least 2 builders of custom buggy chassis, usually called flat chassis, that you may want to consider. Occasionally you will find someone offering a pre shortened stock chassis for sale or may do one for you if
Read through the Buggy Build forum to get some ideas of what route you may want to take.

Mike T
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Sand Shark 772 would like to build a chassis! (2873 hits)

Powered by mwForum 2.10.2 © 1999-2007 Markus Wichitill