the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Classifieds / Corvair Engine 6 Cyl + VW Adapter Plate (15718 hits)
By Hawk Date 2007-07-16 03:57
Want more power? How about this 6 cylinder corvair? It has the adapter plate so you can slide it on your dune buggy. Not currently running, just put on ebay see listing at  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVAIR-6-CYL-ENGINE-80A-MOTOR-WITH-VW-ADAPTER-PLATE_W0QQitemZ160138529382QQihZ006QQcategoryZ140684QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2007-07-17 03:42
Hey Matt,
You know these motors either ran normally (opposite the VW engine rotation) (normal Corvair engine rotation with a reversed ring gear on a VW swing axle tranny) or ran backwards (normal VW engine rotation with the VW transaxle running normally)

In order for the motor to turn backwards, the VW starter was usually retained. Sometimes the Corvair starter motor was rewound, so that isn't a sure fire sign.

I'm curious as to the make of starter on the buggy. Out of all the pictures you have on ebay, I can't get a good clear shot of the starter.

Have you figured out weather the ring gear was reversed on that transaxle? FYI: You might find out its "backwards" for a VW engine to mate up to it.

Also, you have 140 H.P. heads on that there engine. It likely that this is a 140 H.P. engine. in the 1965-1969 range. I don't have anything in front of me to decode the engine casting number.

Jay
By Kustoms Date 2007-07-17 12:33
You could have also got a reverse cam for the engine. My Tow'd had a Corvar engine in it.
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2007-07-17 21:09
Right, that's what I was referring to. A reverse cam, reverse distributer gear, and a way to spin the Corvair engine backwards (VW starter or rewound Corvair starter [backwards winding obviously]) was what it took.

Jay
By LoCashJohn Date 2007-07-18 02:00
Here's how to determine if the trans has been "modified" to work with a stock (counter-clockwise rotation) Corvair engine:

1) Make sure the car can roll freely then place it into 4th gear.
2) Grasp the crank pulley firmly and rotate it in a clockwise direction.  You may need to use a wrench or socket.
3) If the car moves forward, it is a stock transaxle and the motor is configured to run "backwards".  If the car moves backwards, the ring gear has been flipped, thus the motor is a stock (counter-clockwise) rotating motor.

John H
<a href="http://www.LoCashRacing.Org">http://www.LoCashRacing.Org</a>
More brains than bucks...
By Hawk Date 2007-07-19 04:29
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know they were 140hp heads. This buggy must have flew when it was running...

Matt
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2007-07-19 22:37
They aren't super fast revving engines, but a flywheel change could remedy that. Still though... 140 H.P. out of the box as opposed to spending ~ $4,000 to get comparable numbers from a VW engine? I haven't decided my course of action yet. I have a 140 H.P. Corvair engine from my '65 rag top when I got rid of it. To put it in my buggy or not to put it in my buggy.

Jay
By Warner Date 2007-07-20 13:34
How much weight gain is had by running the corvair engine vs the vw engine?  While 140 HP is nice, it's not that difficult to obtain that much from even a mild naturally aspirated VW engine and you wouldn't have all that extra weight hanging over your rear axle.  Granted, it would cost a little money to build that 140 HP engine - certainly more than buying a used Corvair engine.  Usually you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.

Warner
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2007-08-07 03:17
I wish I knew... Someone asked how much a Corvair engine weighed on a different forum not too long ago. I didn't have the data, so I couldn't assist. Now that the engine is out of the car, I could easily weigh it, but I don't have a scale handy to do that. I looked through all the lit I had, and couldn't find a spec on it.

I agree about getting what you pay for. About the only thing I don't like about using a Corvair engine is that fact that there are just no machine shops out there any longer that deal with Corvair.

Jay
By Bob E #19 Date 2007-08-23 17:06
FWIW - The Corvair adds about 75 lbs over the T1, and is pretty expensive to find a good one or rebuild and modify.  The old overstated 140hp rating would be rated at about 100hp in todays more accurate hp numbers.  Still a bolt on improvment over the VW, , and the 6 sounds pretty cool compared to the VW 4 cyl's.

Boston Bob E.
www.deserterownersgroup.org
www.the-bug-club.com
Boston Bob E
www.bimelliott.com - www.the-bug-club.com - www.deserterownersgroup.org
By Southpaw Date 2007-08-23 19:30
Bob ,If the Corvair only has about 100 HP. , How many HP. can you get out of a 1776 VW. ?  Glen
Bremen Speed Equ. Citation #1077
By Warner Date 2007-09-14 16:46
Bob ,If the Corvair only has about 100 HP. , How many HP. can you get out of a 1776 VW. ?  Glen

100 would not be difficult at all from a 1776.  My 2276 dyno'd at 204 HP at 6,500 rpm's and makes 150+ foot pounds of torque (which is the most important number, really) from 3k all the way up to 7,500 rpm's.  

Warner
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Classifieds / Corvair Engine 6 Cyl + VW Adapter Plate (15718 hits)