the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Hello from sunny San Diego (2472 hits)
By Spoiler Tim Date 2014-02-06 10:22
Hey guys and gals,
New to the site and wanted to introduce myself and my newfound buggy!! I just scored it today and I am very stoked about my find!! Its a Desert Fox Spoiler with a tube chassis setup for Corvair independent suspension all around and complete Corvair 4 speed drivetrain!! It has an early Corvair Turbo Monza Corsa dash in it which a lifelong Corvair buddy told me sells for $200 plus alone!! It has new tires, brakes, and shocks on it and the previous owner told me he was driving it one day and hit a BIG dip in the road and it just shut off!! He tried to start it and it wouldnt fire up so he had it towed home where he continued to try to start it until the battery gave out and he just never did anything else with it!! Fast forward two years later I spot it on Craigslist for an UNBELIEVABLE low price and I swooped on it!! I guess my only real question is if anybody knows if the Spoiler bodys had any kind of ID tag like the Manx and other brands and where it is located on the body? My plans with the car are just to clean it up, maybe do a tire and wheel swap, and just enjoy it on the streets here in San Diego!!

By Vince P 3261 Date 2014-02-07 11:38
Nice Find youll enjoy it keep us posted
By Spoiler Tim Date 2014-02-21 17:50
I have been noticing some differences between my Spoiler body and others. Like I said before my car has a custom tube frame setup for Corvair front suspension and Corvair power. My cars rear cargo area doesnt have the typical wheel well humps,is flat on the sides, and appears longer. It also has a completely flat floor with no hump so the front and rear floorwell doesnt have the usual notch found for the VW pan. The area behind the cargo area is also longer so the rear spoiler has a longer and much better transfer to the rear lip. I have also seen some of the Spoiler bodies with headlight stands like the Manx bodies and mine are just fender mounted. I also havent seen side pods with the "scoop" in them like mine. I stumbled across the 1970 movie GASSSS the other night and it has 2-3 Desert Fox Spoilers, a Manx, and a few other buggies in it, thats where I noticed how much longer my rear spoiler was. when I first got my buggy the body was so oxidized you couldnt drag a cloth across it and I thought it was silver, it felt like 40 grit sand paper!! I have been wet sanding the body and buffing it out and the color is coming back with a nice high gloss shine and the color is more like a gold flake. Im excited to put this little survivor buggy back on the street. It appears to have been a very high quality build back in the day!!

By MuttMike Date 2018-07-18 21:56
Tim,
     first spoiler I've seen with the option side pods.
Very nice.

--MuttMike
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2018-07-20 15:26
Interesting that this is not a chassis set up to accept the Corvair bits and mate the the VW body... this is in the same class as the manx-vair where there was clearly a different body mated to a specific frame.

I wonder who manufactured the frame. This looks like a deliberate manufacture of body and frame. Interesting!!!!
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2018-07-20 15:35
That looks like a 110HP engine too. The dash is pre-'65. 60-64 dash.

There are plenty of good Corvair Web sites out there too.
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2018-07-21 15:16
Jay, Would this then be in the same class as the MAX that was sold in California at Chevrolet dealers?  It has a specific built frame to except the corvair parts and the Body built by San Beret.   Definitely not set up for VW
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2018-07-21 18:42
Lloyd, I believe the MAX was a Corvair only buggy. I could be wrong. I was referring to a company that decoded to adopt the body they had for a VW pan commissioning a chas sis manufacturer to make a frame and deliberate modification to the body to fit the frame as well as the suspension bits that needed clearance beyond what VW suspension buts needed.

Jay
By Lloyd B 2301 Date 2018-07-22 02:15
Thank you.   Still want to get mine put all back together.  It will be someone else doing the work.  I am moving into an RV, so will have no place to do work.  Time will tell.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Hello from sunny San Diego (2472 hits)