the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / State by State Dune Buggy registration info ... / Tennesee title, registration, and license (8040 hits)
By John S 2 Date 2009-07-10 21:49
Tenesee title, registration, and license experiences
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Jamie Appling Date 2011-05-25 13:55
Well this is my experience in the state of TN. I live in Shelby County(Memphis area). So I traded a fellow shriner who had 2 buggys a boat for his buggy, that he purchased from another fellow shriner who lived in AL. The Shriner in AL had the buggy registered in AL but the shriner in Memphis had never registered the buggy. So I take the notorized bill of sale to the county clerks office to get it registered and tagged this was April 1. The nice lady behind the bullet proof glass informed me that because I didn't have the Title and the guy I traded with had never registered in TN I had to jump through hoops to get it done. So she gave me about 5 forms to fill out and send to the Dept of Revenue in Nashville to get the Vin researched. Well 2 1/2 weeks later I get a letter from the state saying that I was not the legal owner of the buggy so I could not get the information. I then called the Dept of Revenue and asked them what I needed to do. The very nice lady said I needed to send the guy I bought the buggy from a registered return receipt requested letter and wait for the green card to come back to me where the friend I bought it from had signed it. The friend which I see about 3 or 4 times a week. It took our wonderful USPS 3 weeks to get me the card. During that 3 week period I proceeded to get the other list of stuff that Dept of Revenue told me to get which was a Deputy Sheriff to come out and verify my chassey number that was easy me being a Shriner I had plenty of Sherriff friends to handle that and get everything notorized that was easy also I work at a Credit Union that has 10 or 12 Notory's. I finally got the card and the very next day I proceeded back into the County Clerks Office for the 3rd time and thought after talking to the Dept of Revenue I would have to go a 4th time. I handed the girl (not the same girl as the first 2 times) that was behind the bullet proof glass the paper work and she looked it over and asked if I wanted Antique Tags or Regular Tags. I said give me Antique Tags and I gave her a check for $183 which was to pay the taxes and and the Registration and Antique Tag fee and I got my butt out of the clerks office before she said that she couldn't do it.

So that is my experience in TN. My Buggy is registered as a 1969 VW Beetle. No modified title. Although I did have to submit as part of my Registration a form to be filled with the state telling who build the buggy and what parts were being used from the original beetle and have that signed and notorized. Now I am fat and sassy.
By Tom & Kathleen I 639 Date 2011-05-25 14:20
You are "fat & sassy" until you get pulled over by a "by the book" cop or get in an accident and your insurance company says that is not a 69 Beetle an your insurance is not valid.  I hope you don't have these problems, but be aware they can happen.  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Manxter #16, Kick-Out SS #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club #1030, CVA, RBC, SCCA
By Jorge P 3380 Date 2012-09-02 11:56
Jamie, I also live in Shelby Cnty and just recently bought a project buggy. It would be great to meet you and look at your buggy. My wife, 2yr son and I are planing to go to the VW club meeting this coming Tuesday Aug. 4th evening at Fox Ridge Pizza off of Gtown Pkwy. Come on out , lets meet.

Jorge
By Jamie Appling Date 2014-10-21 15:58
Jorge,

I am sorry about not getting back to you. I did make this past August meeting but I can't make the meeting every month because I have another meeting on the same night that I am committed to attending. Please drop me an email and we can go cruising sometime before it gets to cold to enjoy the ride. james.appling@gmail.com
Previous Next Up Topic Public / State by State Dune Buggy registration info ... / Tennesee title, registration, and license (8040 hits)