the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Classifieds / Deserter Molds and Parts for Sale!! PRICE DROP!!! (6092 hits)
By Bob E #19 Date 2014-02-04 01:11 Edited 2014-04-03 16:45
[deleted]
Boston Bob E
www.bimelliott.com - www.the-bug-club.com - www.deserterownersgroup.org
By glassbuggy Date 2014-02-08 17:53
Bob, Maybe try Bug Stuff or ACME Car Co, both in Pa, perhaps they would like to add to their line of products.
I am curious how to make molds of side pods as I have a set of Dune Runner pods that are extremly rare and would like to reproduce. How does one go about it, I had heard pods would be a mould with several sections - Bart
By glassbuggy Date 2014-02-11 19:25
They are similar in shape to the deserter pods here is a pic
By glassbuggy Date 2014-02-14 16:57
For some reason I cant get the pic to post but they are very much like the Deserter parts in shape. How did you go about the layup, I see some bracing in the design
By glassbuggy Date 2014-02-21 01:57
Thanks Bob ! :-)   Do you prefer to hand lay the pods or chopper gun?  tks Bart
By Brad H 1498 Date 2014-02-21 02:14
The directions outlined are for handlaying glass. It will give you the best strength/weight ratio. Chopper guns are just not economical enough if you aren't doing production line volumes.

brad
By Red XA Bat Date 2014-02-26 01:59
I work with some really top composite guys who have been in the aircraft business for quite some time. Seems like the best results are vacuum infusion of vinyl ester resin (without stepping up to carbon fiber or Kevlar prepreg), assuming the tools are suited. Hand laid up is a second choice, but chopper gun creates no real cross weave, and is far less strong, so never is what I hear for the gun method, if you want top quality parts.
By Red XA Bat Date 2014-02-26 02:00
P.S. Glassbuggy you have mail...
By Chuck Geon_Bugman Young Date 2014-02-26 17:30
Good points to think about. My two cents; hand laid with Mat glass with woven in the high stress points. I've been through a lot of buggies and most are chopper gun blown. Back in the day you could get a gun set up for under 500 bucks and wham you were in biz. For most of us who would not be into production, glass mat at gel cote rolled out with a small roller would be more than enough to produce parts for our own ride. I worked off a kit car body a few years back with the Gatsby guy in Gloucester VA and even then we worked 3 days and did 12 bobbies this way. Chopper guns are great if you are by your self and need to knock out a ton of parts. Pre-preg is almost alway priced out of the market, and a lot of that stuff not all but a lot needs a big oven to cure it $$$$$$$$$$. Anyway hope the molds make it into busy hands.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Classifieds / Deserter Molds and Parts for Sale!! PRICE DROP!!! (6092 hits)