the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Doris' Allison Daytona buggy build in CT (26703 hits)
By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-03-29 00:25 Edited 2011-03-29 17:46
We bought this from Ken!!!!
Dog and I went on a road trip!!!

By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-03-29 00:32 Edited 2011-03-29 01:17
I brought this home for my wife and she said what the heck were you thinking???
I said happy birthday dear!!

By andrew s 1965 Date 2011-03-29 01:03
well now we have two Allison Daytona buggies and are very proud to have these short bodies, one old style and one new. "The Cadilac of Dune Buggies"
Not exactly sure of the years of the bodies but i am going to guess that the silver one is a 1969 (on a 1970 IRS) and the Teal one is a 1975 (on a 1966) which this build is going to be about.
This Buggy will be for Doris and i promised her she will break a nail!! maybe two!!
The silver one is almost done and is almost perfect and the best original gel coat i have seen especially being 42 years old. you can see pics under introduce yourself as allison in ct
Doris' new buggy has less than 2 miles on it and original owner per Ken Never finished.
Buggy has suffered damage by sitting and needs work but is a very , very solid buggy and pan is perfect as can be and nothing more than surface rust.

By andrew s 1965 Date 2012-06-10 22:59
Well Doris' Allison is still up for sale but i go the urge to do some work on it.
She is very happy with her yellow buggy
Once i pulled the Allison appart i was impressed whith how solid she was.
This buggy came from a 66 doner and was started in mid 70's and bever finished.
Being a Souther buggy there is nothing more than surface rust on the pan and all i have to do is wire brush it and Por 15 it.
I gave it a fast squirt with the pressure wash and here is what she looks like topless..........

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2012-06-11 03:19
Glad to see you are doing some work to the Barn find Allison Daytona, That buggy deserves to have a happy home and be driven, shes waited a long time for someone to finish her up, so either way if you keep the build going or someone else takes the reigns she is going to make  someone a nice buggy !!!
By andrew s 1965 Date 2012-06-16 23:37
Here are some pics of todays progess
pan has been wire brushed and coated with por 15
zero rust besides a little on surface. no welding required on this pan.
take a look at the square tube they welded in on the inside chanel for suport.
original builder did a nice job. too bad they never finised.

By andrew s 1965 Date 2012-11-22 17:55
The yellow buggy is now in storage and the teal Allison is in the garage as a winter project.
We just put in garage last week and are vacationing in Jamaica this week so i hope to start having time to work on come December.
I will post pictures as I go
By Daytona Ken Date 2012-12-05 13:29
How was your trip to Jamaka MAN, Glad to see you working on the Allison MAN, Have a good day MAN.

Daytona Ken .....................
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-01-06 16:51 Edited 2013-01-08 23:20
Started to work on the Buggy.
Spent alot of time sanding the little surface cracks in clear coat
Body is mostly ready for paint now. Just have to touch up some spots where black paint from underside dripped through.
I will be sending out for paint in a in february the latest.
Been ordering a ton of parts
Brakes, lines, master cylinder, drums,shocks,wheel bearings, balljoints tie rods, starter, gaskets seals just to name a few things.
going thru everything as it comes up.
I think i am going to paint it Kia Green or some version of that with metalic in it...

By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-01-19 21:48 Edited 2013-01-19 21:53
okay we are a roller now
new ball joints,tie rods, brakes shoes, lines, calipers, pads, drums,cv boots, wheel bearing etc.
will finish body work and send out for paint maybe nex week

By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-01-23 00:25
It is Tuesday the 22nd and I dropped off the body today for paint.
I am planning to pick up Saturday.
I will post pics on it's return.
We picked what we think is a cool coler for a buggy. Chevy spark jalapeņo green.
Not as dark as the Kia green.
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-01-25 20:56
Buggy came back today from paint shop.
I very much like the Jalapeno green
I can see a few defects in my body work because i am very pickey but overall i am happy with is.
The wife likes it so maybe she will let me keep it?
afterall we can fit 3 buggies in the garage!!

By Kellison Jim Date 2013-01-26 00:04
Andrew it looks great! Can't wait to see it put together.
Kellison Jim
By Daytona Ken Date 2013-01-26 13:28
Looking Good Andy !
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-01-26 16:39
thanks Jim.
Working hard on it. Been too cold to do much over the past few weeks
Here are some more pics of body in the sun

By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-02-06 00:12
thanks Ken,
tried to save the gel coat but it could not happen for amount of $$ i wanted to put into build
But the most importaint part is i am saving an Allison and no matter if i keep it or if i sell it someone will have a very nice buggy.
I am still wanting to keep but we already have two and three  might be too much
Thanks
Andy
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-02-10 14:12
Put new Monroe shocks in my silver Allison Friday and put the coil overs on this build.
Coil Over Shocks are good shape but i do not like the ride. Hope ride will improve on mine and i will change later if i keep this build.
Got nailed by the Blizzard. Spent yesterday digging out and back is too shot no work today.
I took the body off the pan and put on trailer friday so i could keep working on pan.
it will be a while till i see it again as you can tell by the pic
Will need to grind bell housing for flywheel and start working on engine soon
Andy

By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-02-20 00:47
Progress has been slow.
Snow, and freind from Texas visited whom i have not seen for years.
Got everything ready to grind bellhousing to fit fly wheel.
Going to take fly wheel off and put clutch and pressure plate on fly wheel and spin on shaft when i grind.
I hope this will be some type of guide???
also new bushing for converting stater to 12 volt on 6 volt housing.
I will post pics as i go.
here is a pick of what i am starting with.
I would also like to thank everyone for all advice you have given me because i would have no clue what to do on this build without your help.
Again thank you all!!
Andy

By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-02-21 01:47
here is the bell housing all ground like i was told to so i can convert to 12 volt.
also here are some more picks with shocks intalled

By Paul G Date 2013-02-21 04:11
What did you do? That lip around the inside of the bell housing, shown in the previous post and mostly missing in the second, is required to center the engine on the transaxle. I hope enough is left to center the engine.
By Bob E #19 Date 2013-02-21 20:21
Just noticed this thread, great looking Alison, , but can I ask about the trailer it fits on?  Is that a 6 x 12 ft unit, or something differnt?  Thanks for any reply, and once again nice looking buggies.
Boston Bob E
www.bimelliott.com - www.the-bug-club.com - www.deserterownersgroup.org
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-02-23 12:16 Edited 2013-02-23 12:48
Paul,
i had asked question about engine id and it evolved to starter conversion to 12 v from 6 volt which lead to grinding the bell housing to fit larger fly wheel and so on. Nothing is simple as i thought it would be and i have got lots of great advice from everyone
here it the post/link    http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=4369
picture does not really show it but lip to line up engine is still there so all good. thanks for your comments and advice.
Bob yes it is a 6 x 12 landscape trailer with ramp on back. purchase at lowes
i can fit pretty much any shortened buggy. I purchased originally to tow my buggies behind the RV on vacation.
it works well because i can tow buggy safe, off the ground and i can move trailer by my self. Just have to be carefull with wide tires. I changed the way pins fit to hold lftgate to give me a few more inches on width. Did not want to pop tires
I did not want to dolly or tow bar. afraid of possible damage to buggy and my silver buggy is original gel coat from late 60's
you may remember Tina L from the Bug Club? I bought her yellow Getaway Twice and hauled her buggy on this trailer from Boston to Ct. nice buggy Tina built and my wife loves it
i checked out your web site and i love it and you have done some nice buggies
thanks
Andy
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-03-06 00:25 Edited 2013-03-06 15:23
I started to work on engine
i purchased all new tin which i will paint metalic black and i will paint the block yellow so it kind of goes with the green paint job on the glass.
I will strip down the easy stuff, paint and do some gaskets and replace the push rod tubes.
I did not want to do the tubes but it looks like a few were damaged so i am doing it with the replacement ones that have springs and do not require heads to come off.
I will post pics as i go but here are some pics of how engine looked when i bought it.
I hope to finish up engine this weekend and install to tranny/pan possibly this weekend

By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-03-09 23:14
Spent a few nights this week and all day working on the engine.
Put most of her back together and maybe will install to pan tomorrow if i can get help.
Painted installed new push rod tubes, installed tin etc.
Hope a she is a runner when i fire her up.
going to try and get her going before i put glass on
here are a few pic's and i think the yellow will go well with the green buggy
Andy

By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-03-10 19:45
Spent a few hours today and installed the engine, wires etc.
starting to come together.
lots more to do and will keep pluging away

By Daytona Ken Date 2013-03-11 00:51
You sure gave the Barn find a good home , LOOKING GOOD !!!
By KC Date 2013-03-13 20:44
That Looks REALLY nice!
I want to pull out my 600 mile on rebuild buggy engine and paint it some color now!.
That will pop out with that jalapeno green paint, kinda like a stem or a seed...
KC
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-03-14 00:29 Edited 2013-03-19 11:25
Thanks Ken,
I have been putting some time in here. I am not the fastest at things.
I most of all am enjoying this project. It has been fun!!
It has been a very nice clean slate to start with. Not many 66 buggies with the floor pans that were in the car when it came from Germany!!!
The gentleman you got it from did a very nice job on the pan when they shortened it in the mid 70's????
I figure if it takes me a few more years to finish maybe my wife will let me keep it??? Lets hope. I do not think three buggies are too much for anyone to have!!
KC,
Thank you too for your compliments.
I have spent a lot of time trying to get things looking good and i am fourtunate my wife helps me make things match!!
I kind of like how it has come out so far and should look nice when all put together
Afterall it is a dune buggy and we can do anything we want!!
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-04-28 21:39
Today I hot wired the engine and fired up the buggy.
Poured a little bit of gas and that is all it took.
Engine ran fine.
no smoke or loud noise.
Very good. Ran for 10 minutes
idled fine and no leaks as of yet.
I however figured out this mid 70's Allison has longer rear fenders than my late 60"s aAllison because the exhaust is too high and dose not let body sit on pan.
About 2-3 inches too high.
I will need to buy a new exhaust soon.
Here are some pics of the buggy and our other buggies in the garage.
We have a 3 buggy garage at this time!

By Kellison Jim Date 2013-05-14 04:14
Andrew,
With all of those buggies we'll have to start calling you Lil Ken!
Kellison Jim
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-05-14 23:48
Thanks Jim,
I however have to say that i am not sure my loving wife will alow me to keep three.
I promised her i would sell one when i finish.
I am proud to say i never finish anything...
Exhaust arrived today.
Can maybe put it on this weekend and have body fit on pan now as long as i am not dragged to car show by my son.
Not a dune buggy he has, but a 67 Ford Mustang which is not bad.
I may take my silver Allison and park next to his mustang and see who gets more looks..
Anyone want to put odds on this and place bets?
Dune buggies will win hands down in my opinion
Andy or/aka "Little Ken"
By andrew s 1965 Date 2013-05-18 22:36
Swapped exhaust today now body sits on pan like it should.
Not overly thrilled with how it looks, maybe it will grow on me.
started it up today and ran great again. no issues.
need a bigger garage but that is not going to happen so will have to keep movin buggies around to work.
The green buggy wheels are all on the wheels so i can push it around which actually works well and not so bad
Andy

By Daytona Ken Date 2013-05-21 11:29
I like your new nick name, LOL
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Doris' Allison Daytona buggy build in CT (26703 hits)