the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Announcements / Registry Open! (42684 hits)
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-05 03:21
The Dune Buggy Registry is now open for additions! 

There are a lot of fields to fill out for a new entry - but 99% are optional and you can go back and edit the entry later.

If you see your buggy model in the registry - just click 'add entry' at the top & put it in.

If you find your buggy already in the registry (EMPI Imp owners - I've copied my registry over) - just post here and I'll turn over control of the entry to you.

If you have a buggy whose model does not appear yet in the registry, just reply to this message.  I'll then wait for John to give me some additional info on the buggy (like what category it should go in and any special "features" beyond what a standard buggy would have") as well as a nice description (He's the expert).

Once John has filled in the info, I'll set up the new registry & reply to your message.

If you run a buggy registry and would like to move it to DBA, I can help you set it up & put you in charge of it.

Paul...
Chicago, IL
EMPI Imp 1002 ('69)/Subaru EJ20 Turbo/LinkPlus ECU
By Dave M #66 Date 2006-04-07 02:46
Sears Rascal please
By John S 2 Date 2006-04-09 11:27
The Rascal was a named used for advertising puposes by Sears during the dune buggy heyday.
The early model they sold was built by a company called Terra Buggy.
The body had a standard Manx tub with the small tail opening similar to monocoque manx.
The hood carried a single ridge dwn the center with no emblem bump or otherwise raised features.
The dash has a distinct arm that was stretched to the passenger side to accomodate a radio or other gauges.
The Late tail rascal included a box design above the center carb area that was more styled like a Glitterbug tail.
There is no know link or connection between the Glitterbug and the Rascal.
It also appears that during the court copywrite battles of 70-71 the Manx was advertisied as available from Sears.
As far as I know there is only one person in the US who has a Manx he picked up at Sears.

JC Penny got on the buggy bandwagon with the sale of serial numbered Empi Imps.
Wards carried the Bandit dune buggy in the catalog they poduced.

Hope this helps.
John
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-10 02:32
I'll try to get to this the beginning of this week.  Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-12 01:05
The Sears Rascal Registry is up.  John didn't mention any special features (beyond the standard 'dune buggy' features), so let me know if I need to add any.  If your logged in, you should be able to add an entry.  Let me know if you have any problems.  Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Ricky P #13 Date 2007-08-20 13:21
Hi John,  In the later years of Meyers Manx...the Sears catalog actually had the full page ad for the Meyers Manx in their catalog, and the shipping info listed in the Sears catalog was from the B. F. Meyers & Co. in Fountain Valley, CA. This was after Bruce left the company.  The orders placed for buggy kits through the Sears catalogs from the eastern states received the Rascal (Terra Buggy) kit, and orders placed from the western states received the Meyers Manx II kit from B. F. Meyers & Co.  My buggy is a Meyers Manx II from B. F. Meyers & Co. that was bought through the Sears catalog.

Rick
By Burn-z Date 2006-04-08 14:37
Hi Paul,
Can you add Dunbar buggies I know of atleast four models. Minivolks, Hawk, and HawkII. I can't remember the fourth name right now.  I will send it when I remember it.
Thanks,
Burn-z
By John S 2 Date 2006-04-09 11:36
Dunbar was a very popular Nor Eastern maker.
I have seen what appears to be the same model they built as the MiniVolks advertisied as the Hawk
after "Hawk" Harrelson the big baseball star ordered and endorsed them.

I am not sure about the Hawk II?

The Minivolks was one of the first buggies to use what I call the East Coast hood.
Many of the small makers who were trying to the cheapest kit they could made a hood
that had the dash molded into it as one part. It had no convex curves since that would be impossible to pull from
a mold. The hood flared at the edges to grab on to the body sides in front of the windshield frame.
The dash was usually very flat or had a ridge line molded in.

Dunbar liked to have scoops on the hood. Check out the Beverly Hills to see them up close.
The big signature to these bodies though is what I call an exaggerated tail design.
The rear fenders have a low almost mudflap built in to them.
The whole tail has a long low extended look. More engine coverage.
East Coast DMV laws were much more strict than the west coast.
NJ CT DE and others required tire and engine coverage.
Many of the 1972 motor vehicle laws nationwide adopted these rules and it was the begining of the
end of buggy production.

John
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-10 02:33
Early this week for this one too - Thanks, John, for posting the details!  Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-12 01:20
Dunbar Registry is open for business.  I added the MiniVolks and Hawk under it.  I can add the Hawk II - John, do you want to confirm this first?    Also should I merge the MikiVolks and Hawk entries into one if its just another name for the same buggy?

Do we have any Hawk II owners out there?
Anyone know the 4th buggy produced by Dunbar?

Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Burn-z Date 2006-04-14 02:09
I guys I'm trying to be a little bit of an expert on the Dunbar but it's hard finding information. I actually tracked down Howard Dunbar through his daughter. Asked him about the minivolks and sent him pictures of mine to see if he could tell me anything about it. Here is an except of his email "  OK Patrick:  Good photos.  Checked your original pics and Hawk article.  It appears you have a Hawk II, same body we used to build the Hawk 40 II. Engine cover was redisgned with bumpout to cover Porsche motor.  Original motor was a VW as in description.  Ken wanted a hotter motor so we installed  the Porsche.  VW motor in a Buggy is more dependable.  Howard"
After that, I asked for information about old literature, bodies floating about or the molds and he went silent. I'll post the articals that I have in the yahoo site. So, here it is Minivolks: no hood skoops, Hawk narrow fenders loovered scoops on hood, Hawk II wide fenders loover hood scoops. Hawk 40 II????
Burn-z
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-26 13:06
Hey Burn-z - Any news from Howard?  I'm about to add your notes into the Dunbar registries.  Also I'll update your forum name to Burn-z.  Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Burn-z Date 2006-05-10 16:24
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay in my answers. Anyway, He (Howard) has got real quiet. I don't know why he does not want to share information but, that's all I have. I appreciate adding the IDs and the user name. If I can find anything else I wil post it.

Burn-z
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2007-05-10 22:01
Supposedly there are 10 models by Dunbar. I've seen pictures of the Dunbar "Model D Roadster" on another site. (I saved the image to my hard drive, but will have to go back and check copyright before I post a picture of it).

Does the DBA have any pictures of this buggy anywhere?

Jay
By Mr Bs Bug N Buggy Date 2006-04-10 03:06
Hey Paul, What happened to the VIPER post I had, could you add it to the list also please.

Thank you
Darren & LeAnn.....1 viper dune buggy....
DBA, DSB, Spokane, WA
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-12 01:27
John - Please provide a description for the Viper so I can post this registry for viperbgy - Thanks, Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-26 13:49
Hi viperbgy - I've added the Viper registry.  If you have any additional info on the Viper buggy model, please feel free to post it and I'll it into the description of the registry.  Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Mr Bs Bug N Buggy Date 2006-04-26 18:13
Thank you Paul
DBA, DSB, Spokane, WA
By McGyver Date 2006-04-14 12:04
Hey Paul and John,

I think the Registry needs provisions for Tow'd and Tow'dster. I have a Tow'd.

Thanks,
Tom
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-21 22:52
Towd Registry is open - I'll add Towdster next.  I still need descriptions from John. Paul..
Chicago, IL
By Robert S #61 Date 2006-04-17 03:37
how about a registry on the Berry mini-t
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-26 13:53
The Berry Mini T registry is up and operational.  Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-18 15:03
I just updated the look of our registries.  Seems a bit cleaner.  Any thoughts? Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Mr Bs Bug N Buggy Date 2006-04-18 17:33
I will say 1000 % better !!!! It was very hard to follow before, way better now.
DBA, DSB, Spokane, WA
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-04-18 23:42
Thank you very much! Paul...
Chicago, IL
By GTMike Date 2006-11-06 23:16
Paul, I'd like to add my Sand Shark to the Registry, but there's no "add" option

-Mike
Southside Buggistas - Volkswagen & Kit Car Club
www.southsidebuggistas.com
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-11-07 00:40
Hi Mike - I've added Sandshark registries for both the ATV Sandshark and the Stephens Sandshark. 

The Add button was missing because I had created the Sandshard Category (like the Manx and Imp categories) without creating a specific registry under it.  I'm sure I got stuck when I saw two different manufacturers of the same buggy.  I've since learned that there were in fact to Sandsharks - so why not create a registry for both?

I look forward to your entry!

Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-11-07 15:03
Hey Mike - Nice entry!  I updated your link to turn it into a real like to the Buggista website.  Paul...
Chicago, IL
By GTMike Date 2006-11-07 23:13
Thanks Paul!
Southside Buggistas - Volkswagen & Kit Car Club
www.southsidebuggistas.com
By kitcar Date 2006-11-12 18:11
Can you set up a Safari Registry, there are a couple of models if that matters.. Super and Trail.

Joe
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2006-11-12 21:08
Hi Joe - I've added both the Super and Trail under a new Safari registry category.  I also split the "Safari" in the Buggy ID Engine into 2 separate buggies.

Paul..
Chicago, IL
By kitcar Date 2006-11-12 21:43
Cool.
By Tim S 363 Date 2007-01-07 21:45
Hi,

I don't see a BC BEE registry, could you add that?  I have some pics of a '70 model with the hardtop and side skirts to add.

Thanks!
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2007-01-08 03:32
Hi Tim - Well nice job getting me in trouble with my wife...  Go figure that I put up 50 other buggy registries and forget HER buggy model... 

So the BCBee registry is up and available. And I added Deb's "The Bluggy". 

Can't wait to see your pictures.  I've never seen a BCBee with a hardtop or side skirts.  We did run into another BCBee owner this past Summer with a nitrous VW motor that pulls the front weeks off the sand.  I hope to run into him next Summer.

Thanks for requesting the registry!
Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Southpaw Date 2007-05-10 19:04
Hi Paul, Any chance I could get A Registry for My Bremen Speed Equ. Citation #1077. I also have seen paper work saying,Bremen Sport Equ.- Citation  but only on the web. Thank you for your time .Glen.
Bremen Speed Equ. Citation #1077
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2007-05-11 14:43
Hi Glen - I can definitely add a registry for you. 

I'm not familiar with that buggy - would you be able to write up two short paragraphs for me?  One on the manufacturer and one on the buggy body?

Does this Citation have any relationship to the Citation made by Berrien Buggy?

Here's a link to your new registry: http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/registry/BremenSpeedEqu

Thanks,
Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Southpaw Date 2007-05-11 17:19
Hi Paul, Yes Long story I will post that later, But Berrien Buggy started selling kits for Bremen back in 1969 . My Citation has a sticker from Bremen Speed Equ.   BSE#1077 . So I have been told only if it left thier driveway one that they built then it would be numbered. Berrien now has the molds but the body mold is junk.  Thank you four time ,Glen
Bremen Speed Equ. Citation #1077
By karen k 243 Date 2007-05-26 00:06
Hello,

I need a registry for a Joe Poty Sand Rover T pickup..... Thanks!

take care,
Karen

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/karenkl_album/DSC00021
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2007-05-29 21:27
Hi Karen - The new Joe Poty Sand Rover T Pickup Registry is at the bottom of the page - just follow the link.

Paul...
Chicago, IL
By Jasen P Date 2007-08-19 16:32
Allison Daytona, please
By Paul Moran (DBA Architect) Date 2008-01-02 20:32
Allison Dayton registry has been added here.

Paul...
Chicago, IL
By David R 2581 Date 2011-02-06 01:27
Hey Paul,
  I have a Spider Style 500 dune buggy. I would like to register it and add some pictures. Where and how do I do this? I  attached a couple pictures and a Spider ad in the forum
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Announcements / Registry Open! (42684 hits)