the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Hi, new here with a Shala-vette (7224 hits)
By Keith O 2440 Date 2010-10-25 02:54
Hi, names Keith. My pops and I are taking on the task of rebuilding a Shala-vette. It's neat in it's own way but needs some updating and mild changes. This buggy is getting a ground up rebuild. It's not in terrible shape but we have a lot of things we would like to accomplish at the same time. I will be asking all sorts of crazy question like....I want to convert to rack in pinion steering...where can I get said items, or looking for better headlamp options....That's really about it. Here's a couple quick pics of how it currently sits :-)

By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-10-25 14:13
Get hold of an EMPI catalogue, they have 4 or 5 pages of nothing but rack and pinion steering parts, everything you'll need to build the system from the ground up. Looks like a great project. Have FUN and feel free to ask for advice here along the way.

brad
By Bryan A 229 Date 2010-10-26 01:30
Why convert to rack & pinion? Are you capable of making a safe R&P system from scratch & properly setting it up to prevent bumpsteer?

Or was your question rhetorical?

bnc
By Keith O 2440 Date 2010-10-26 22:58
Well, for me the steering is fine. My pops would prefer to have something a little more.....well lets just say nicer. My bug will stay stock. We've looked into making our own setups and yeah it really wouldn't be all that hard as long as I could find a steering rack that would be narrow enough. However if EMPI already has all the guess work out of it then to us it's worth the extra coin for a bolt in application.

I guess the next step it to start a build thread. I'd add to the registry but it doesn't have our model listed :-(

-KO
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-10-27 13:35
They have the propper mounts, couplers, u-joints, and splined shafts, everthing you'll need to build your rack. Keep us posted, would like to see how it works out for you.

brad
By TERRY L 2459 Date 2010-11-11 19:49
   i HAVE SHALAVETTE ALSO. MINE HAS SADDLE GAS TANKS IN THE AREA WHERE DOORS WOULD BE, BATTERY UNDER THE BACK SEAT A LA MEYERS MANX STYLE AND A STEEL CHROME REAR BUMPER ON THE REAR. TAKE A LOOK NEXT TO YOUR ORIGINAL POST I AM THE "SHALAVETTE " POST NEXT TO YOURS. MY PHONE # IS 619-301-4760 AND I AM IN SAN DIEGO. YOUR CAR LOOKS GREAT, BUT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN MINE.
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Hi, new here with a Shala-vette (7224 hits)