the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / My Salt Life Buggy Build (14294 hits)
By Stickerdick Date 2010-06-01 14:31
I'm building a Bandito Buggy into a "Salt Life" themed car. It has a Fresh built 1641 with a weber dual progressive carb, electronic ignition, 12volt alternator system, built on a 66 pan shortned 14.5". I'm running 16" american torq thrust wheels 8" in the rear and 7" in the front, drum brakes. The body is yellow right now, but it will be painted a sastin black and the interior will be a marine vinyl white , I'm using the porsche 914 seats with the headrest shaved off (got the idea from lobuck john's build), I also will be building a custom 4 megphone exhaust system. But I'm trying to have this done by July 4th, so this is going to be a quickie build, but I still want the car to be safe, fun and a nice quality build. This is my first attempt at a buggy, I have been building cars and bikes for the last 15 years, so I'm not a total rookie, just have to try and "steal" as many ideas as I can from this and other sites. Thanks for all the help from everybody that I 'll be borrowing ideas from.

By LoCashJohn Date 2010-06-01 18:19
Are you going to run DUAL (2 carbs) Weber progressives?  I've seen pics of the old CB Performance kits but never seen them up close.

If you need any help with stuff you know where to find me.
<a href="http://www.LoCashRacing.Org">http://www.LoCashRacing.Org</a>
More brains than bucks...
By Stickerdick Date 2010-06-01 20:31
Not on this one John, I'm just going to run the one carb. I have already finished the motor, I'll post pics tonight of the chassis, motor, and other items. My sun and I gotthe body sorta figured out, we got the seatys, rollbar and windshield all dialed in, the seats are gone to upholstrey now and I'm working on the brakes and shocks tonight. I'll be running another setup on My other buggy, the red glitter one that I bought off of craigs list on Saturday.
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-06-01 23:44
What are you doing for an oil cooler? And please don't say mounting it in front of the intake for the fan :-(

brad
By Stickerdick Date 2010-06-02 02:04 Edited 2010-06-02 12:38
i've got a remote oil cooler, not sure where i'll mount it yet, will decide after i do some more mockup. here are some more pics of the progress, or lack there of, progress

By LoCashJohn Date 2010-06-03 11:54
Who is doing your seat upholstery?  I need to have mine done and I'm looking for advice.  I was considering Sargents Upholstery but I didn't want to give them my first born or left nut...
<a href="http://www.LoCashRacing.Org">http://www.LoCashRacing.Org</a>
More brains than bucks...
By Stickerdick Date 2010-06-03 18:54 Edited 2010-06-03 22:16
I'm going to try Hawthornes Seat Covers on St. Augustine Road. I'll let you know what they are going to charge me. Here are the same seats that I found on ebay, already cut down and done in black, I should have them by Wednesday of next week.

By Stickerdick Date 2010-06-12 15:51
Hawthornes was crazy... she wants $800.00 to do two seats. I'm going to have to go another way.
By glassbuggy Date 2010-06-12 19:42
That's a Lithia ''Mark 3''
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-06-14 18:55
Don't know if you've autocrossed a buggy before, but I've raced mine for 16 years and if you want some info on what I've done, PM me, and I'll be glad to let you know what I've done with mine to make it handle. I've raced it both as a swing axle and IRS but always with a link pin front end, so let me know what styles of suspension you have if you're interested.

brad
By Stickerdick Date 2010-06-19 02:09
i'm picking up the tube chassis buggy on Saturday, then I've got to get going hot and heavy on the bandito so i can get the tube chassis finished faster..
By Stickerdick Date 2010-06-30 00:21
got the bandito buggy going back into build mode now. I have to have it finished by the end of july, i sold it complete and running by then, nothing like a deadline, whoopie.

By Stickerdick Date 2010-09-14 16:15
Here are some photos of the "Mountian Bug" as it will be know about to be finished, we just need to button up the steering, put in thecorrect ThrowOutbearing, I know, don't ask, and then finish up the wiring and some small detail items, hope to have it finished by this weekend.

By Stickerdick Date 2010-09-14 16:21 Edited 2010-09-21 00:04
Sorry about the blurry pics, I 'll have to take some more on Wednesday. hope these are better, towed it for the first time, over 70 miles, found some good and bad info, should be driving it Tuesday night.

By Stickerdick Date 2010-10-04 00:24
We got the majority of the wiring completed, carpet and seats bolted in for the final time, body is back on the chassis.  Hope to finish up this Friday to be on the road this weekend. 

By Stickerdick Date 2010-10-11 02:58
I'll post pics in the AM, everything is done. Just need to test everything in the morning. My buddy should be driving his new buggy on Monday Evening.

By Stickerdick Date 2010-10-11 13:23
Well, I really enjoyed this build and learned alot about myself and my need for a project. I will not be building anymore custom order buggies anymore. It's more fun when I don't need to worry about what somebody else wants and needs for the project to do or look like. I enjoy building the project for me, then let the next owner add his or her own touches. Guess its time to move on to the next project.
By HotTub Date 2010-10-16 03:55
Great job...LOOKS AWESOME! 
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / My Salt Life Buggy Build (14294 hits)