the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / dune buggy addicts (Page 2) (220058 hits)
1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next  
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-03-28 20:28 Edited 2010-04-01 01:01
Allright so I told a fib I did it again, well at least I took the Allison truck to its new owner in washington nc, he is the same man that bought that first Allison truck I had, he now has 3 Allison trucks, He has one of the trucks restored along with 2 other nice buggys he has restored, 2 corvettes he restored and a his sons nova that came from the grandmother in the process of restoration now, along with a couple of bradley GTs that need work, Man I am glad I am not alone in this addiction, I also have a retired gentleman that is supposed to pick up the empi clone tomorrow minus windshield and roll bar, I am using those on other projects, so enough running my mouth here is # 17 California clipper, needs love like most but not a bad deal. It is just spotted because it started to rain when I took the pictures.                 Ken..............

By Kellison Jim Date 2010-04-12 23:05 Edited 2010-04-12 23:08
Ken L, I see your Super T copy you sold the other month is up for sale on eBay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-1971-VW-VOLKSWAGON-DUNE-BUGGY-MINI-T-BUCKET-SHOW-CAR_W0QQitemZ180493002988QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2a0638a8ec

Ken, how was your leg room in your Super T? Was your Pedal Assembly moved back 8-10 inches, or was it still in the original location?
Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-04-12 23:42
Hi Jim, Yea we were all actually at farmington drag strip bug bash together sunday, It has the neil hydralic pedals and is awful for a 6 foot guy to try to drive, it fits him fine but if I were to have kept it I would have had to put in the stock pedals and moved them forward as much as possible, thanks for keeping a eye out, I am still looking for you a top I just havent had any luck so far.     Ken.........
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-04-27 18:32 Edited 2010-04-27 18:43
No I havent bought another one YET, need to sell something first, Here is what your yard looks like when you are a dune buggy addict, not really they all stay in the shop, thank goodness buggys dont take as much room as cars and trucks, scary part is there are two missing in this picture the red Allison, and the spatz body, that makes 6 and a half that I have on hand, OH WELL at least I can start my own club just got to figure out how to clone myself, OH HECK NO I coulnt even stand that many of me.  I have decided to just run with it, this addiction is so strong there are no drugs or programs to turn to LOL.               

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-05-09 02:19 Edited 2010-05-09 02:23
Well the red Manx has a new home, it is going to New Jersey. So I took a 3 hour trip to Walhalla SC and bought # 18. A 1972 Citation buggy from a shriner, nice guy and he originally bought it from his brother, it looks allmost identical to the boonie buggy, the sides where you get in are a little different and the hump over the engine is a little diferent, so here is # 18 Citation.        Ken...............

By David L 2084 Date 2010-05-09 18:38
I had a question/comment about the green buggy, your number 17.  I am restoring a buggy with an identical nose that I was told is a Bush buggy, but it does not have the turned up spoiler-like tail.  I am a little confused now.  Are you aware of that type nose being used by other companies.

Dave
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-05-09 21:41
David, If you look at # 9 that I bought it is a bush buggy. I cant tell you who copied who LOL, I know the bush buggy and california clipper both used that front end and  If you dig deeper there is probably someone else that used it also. Lots of companys copied other buggys with just minor changes ,and some didnt even bother to change them at all just pulled a mold right off someone elses buggy, If you look at the boonie buggy I have and the citation I just bought they are close copys and their hoods are identical also. Thanks to the DBA we get a good idea of what we have, The DBA is the best sourse to try and find out what a buggys name is, and if isnt documented here at least they  have x-files, there are buggys out there that I guess will never have a name, maby we can start naming them, like orphan annie, notamanx, homeless, I have worked on a couple I would like to have named BA$#@RD    LOL, Have a good one.      Ken...............
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-05-20 22:58
HELP, THIS MADNESS NEVER STOPS !!!!  WELL AT LEAST ITS LEGAL LOL, yellow ciration has a new home, and shes getting some bars and a surfboard, yea the real thing and not just show the guy lives in Charleston SC and drove it home, and surfs like everyday. So yep I did it again # 19 Orange manx clone, I have 2 people wanting buggys and somehow my name is sort of getting out there ( I dont know why ) saying is that there is this nut in South Carolina addicted to buggys DUH HUH, buggy, buggy, buggy, dune buggy, .                      Ken....................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-05-20 23:03
AND YEA I BOUGHT THE VW CAMPER IN THE BACKGROUND OF THE LAST PICTUE BUT WE WANT COUNT THAT ONE ITS NOT A BUGGY, POOR THINGS BUTT UGLY BUT RUNS LIKE A CHAMP, AND A PLACE TO SLEEP IF I NEED TO RUN AWAY FROM THIS ADDICTION TO BUGGYS.                KEN.....................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-05-26 00:03
Orange clone gone !!!   Trip to Ga. and picked up # 20, another real Meyers Manx, motor rebuilt, trans rebuilt, new wiring, new gas tank, Old apliance wheels arnt to bad for there age, new front tires and the rear vintage tires are in good shape for old vintage tires, the Manx tag is missing ( DARN IT ) only the rivet holes left, but it is real down to the wiring tunnels on both sides, she needs paint and body and interior bad, not quite sure if I will sell this one or just keep it, it would be nice to keep a real Manx, here is a picture of # 20,          Ken..........................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-05 19:55 Edited 2010-06-05 20:05
Trip to Myrtle Beach last weekend, brought home # 21 sears RASCAL II , it had been sitting in the mans garage for two years not being driven, he had it for 9 years, had his kids toys pilled up in it, dusty, and no brakes, had fun loading it had to cut off the front welded on bumper and it still had two sets of brackets for tow bars so I drilled holes through my tow bar and eurika on my way home to Rock Hill, washed, buffed and waxed it, painted the headers and cleaned off the silver paint he put on the wheels to preserve them ? a little touch up on the paint , blead the brakes, and it  turned out to be a beautiful buggy and it is on its way to Spartanburg SC right now with the new owners, turned it over quick for a small profit but I should have put it on ebay it was definately worth a lot more than what I sold it for, but what the heck they are a great couple and are going to enjoy and take care of it, so more buggy people for the buggy world !!! dont ask me why someone mounted the AH UG AH horn on the front fender I havent got a clue, and opps I forgot to give them a paint stick gas gauge LOL.                                 Ken.....................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-07 03:04 Edited 2010-06-07 03:16
Made the man a offer and went and got # 22 BOSS BUG. a few repairs and changes to make and then find her a new home. I have the front chrome bumper but had to take it off to tow it, you have got to love what his mechanic did to those brand new 200 dollor headers to miss the carbs.               Ken.....................

By John S 2 Date 2010-06-09 03:05
whew.....

You dude are livin the dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-09 03:27
Thanks John, I think I will get me a bumper sticker made " GOT BUGGY " and have buisness cards made, " have buggy will travel " LOL.    Ken...................
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2010-06-10 03:26
you have got to love what his mechanic did to those brand new 200 dollor headers to miss the carbs.

Ummmmm, I'm not sure I wold call him a "mechanic" based on his liberal use of the sledge hammer, but I'll cut the "guy" a  break. I've been known to dimple an exhaust with a ball-peen hammer for a LITTLE clearance, but not to the extent that the carbs should have been bolted to a shorty runner before pinching off the exhaust flow with the sledge! WOW.

Jay
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-10 10:28
Yea Jay I was being sarcastic myself in that statment, the man I bought it from said his mechanic lol had some old parts I could have , generator, im guessing some old headers, etc, if I went to see him, Seeing that I tend to have a big mouth at times I thought NOT, anybody want to buy a slightly used set of ceramic headers ??????                      Ken....................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-15 13:25
Hello dune buggy addicts, OPPS  I guess I am talking to myself again LOL, the yellow boonie buggy and the green Calfornia clipper have new homes, boonie went to a young man 16 YEARS OLD in Hickory NC, I put in his moms name and she can put it in his, it was great to see someone so young have a interest in dune buggys !!!!!!!!! The clipper went to a man in NC he attends some of the same shows I do so hopefully I will get to see it after he restores it, I bought # 23 about 45 minutes from home last friday, I am not sure what body it is and havent taken pictures yet so I will post some pictures later and see if anyone has a clue to what body manufactor it is.                    Ken....................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-22 00:04 Edited 2010-06-22 00:09
Sorry it took so long to load pictures my daughter got on my computer and got things out of wak LOL, Here is # 23 I am not sure of the make so I put a request for help to identify it. The man I bought it from took iot off the chassis, painted the chassis and painted the body, he had the motor rebuilt, started wiring it and lost interest, brand new tires still have the rubber tits on them, it runs and drives great and came with some extra parts, so I need to do a little work to it or sale it as it is.          Ken.............

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-22 00:15
Man I would have never in a million years believed that I would go through so many buggys in such a short time. 2 DOZEN OMG, Took a trip to Va. saturday left at 9:30 in the morning and got home at 1 in the morning long drive, long day, but I think it was worth it # 24 Green buggy, nice buggy with 2 tops and kenwood sterio system, so here is # 24 NO NOT JEFF GORDON LOL.               Ken.....................

By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-06-22 14:32
You go boy!!!! This is me, green with envy.

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-22 14:56 Edited 2010-06-22 15:00
Stick to the day job Brad, I mean it is neat as he!! to go through all these buggys, but no guarantees,  it has been a good side job so far, especially when the shop got slow. I wouldnt want to depend on it by itself to make a living though. Now that the shop picked back up it is like I am working 7 days a week with buying and selling buggys and the shop, and it is a little nerve racking when you have all your money tied up, but it is what it is and I am having one he!! of a good time with it, Its the best addiction I have ever had, I dont know how my truck feels about it though sure is pilling some miles on it, its just that some you sell to want you to be their personal mechanic why they own the buggy you sold them and I am not a mechanic I am a paint and body guy !!! Hey you should get you a personlized tag made for the salt flats " GOT SALT " LOL.                  Ken.....................
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-06-23 19:05
Ya, I have no intentions on building and selling buggies for a living or as a sideline. After building 4 in the last 3 years I've had enough for a while. Besides I don't think there are as many buggies in my home province as you'll gone through this year!!!!! And unless they are completely thrashed, I can't buy them to flip for anything less than $5K for a running buggy.

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-06-23 19:35
DARN BRAD I AM SELLING THEM TO CHEAP !!! I really have been told that I am selling them to cheap but I love finding them and dont mind the rides to get them, sometimes it gets tiring when you pull a 18 hour day there and back with talking to the person a while and loading the buggy, but maby if I asked more I could get a room for the night LOL, anyway with my budjet I cant afford to hold on to them to long anyway, so turning them over quick is what I have to do, so the wheels keeps turning, and turning, and turning.                      Ken........................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-08 02:10 Edited 2011-02-10 17:35
Well I got to try out the trailer I bought, Brad says I need to keep the buggys so I guess I will try to hold on to this one since I dont have to much tied up in it, I would have a hard time selling a Allison anyway since they are my buggy of choice. So here is # 25 teal metal flake Allison dune buggy, the man had had it since he was 19, I didnt ask him how old he is now I thought it would be rude, anyway he never got finished with it and had it in a barn for a long time, good project Allison, great 66 chassis and title, got two low back vw seats with it and some old cragars that have seen their better days, the body had never had holes drilled for snaps for a top, the body isnt even faded .                  Ken.........................

By John S 2 Date 2010-07-08 03:39
I would love to find an Allison one of these days.
And one in that nice of shape? WOW!
founder
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-08 11:21 Edited 2010-07-08 11:24
Thanks John I will sell you this one. I allready have the red one just like it and blue moon dune and something coming up next weekend that I am trying to keep under my hat untill the deal is done.      Ken.....................
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-08 14:33
Hey, MR ALLISON, enough already. Here I am, water EVERYWHERE, rain everyday and you're going through buggies like clean socks. You're gonna make me cry soon :-) I went out last night to fire up the buggy and take it to the monthly sports car club meeting because for once they weren't forcasting thundershowers for the evening and wouldn't you know it after leaving the engine cover off Sunday night after doing some work, the storm we had Monday filled #1 cylinder with water AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's all good now, got it dried and fired last night after the meeting. The joys of living in the North. Daylight till 10pm

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-08 16:03 Edited 2010-07-08 16:08
Brad doesnt Canada have dune buggy health care LOL. Sorry about the bad weather buddy, I offered to find you some pontoons what do you want now a plastic bubble LOL, I guess that triple Ken card doesnt work up yonder. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,    Hey I will let you use those cragars and tires sitting in the teal Allison they should get good traction in the rain LOL.                Ken..............................
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-08 16:23
And who tha heck are you calling MR I want to stay that 5 year old kid waiting for my dune buggy toy for christmas LOL, Lets see it was 1964 when I was 5, Hey thats right when Bruce built one of the ultimate toys a DUNE BUGGY !!!!!!!!!  Allright go play in the rain now,( at least I didnt say the street ) dont worry I am just trying to rattle your cage, REMEMBER RUBBING IS RACING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  when you race wear the firesuit that says " DOSNT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS "     Ken...............................
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-08 16:33
My fire suit says "I'm The Best, #$%# The Rest" LOL :-)

I'm kind of regretting not making a windshield and side curtains for my roof. Na, maybe not. It's got to quit raining SOMETIME!!!! But by then I'm sure it will be snowing.

Words to live by my friend;

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"

Don't know who said it, or when, but it's the way I want to live my life. Know what to take seriously, and have fun with the rest. That's the biggest challenge in life.

Never stop being 5 Ken.............

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-11 21:59 Edited 2010-07-23 02:19
What are some of the simptons of dune buggy addiction, well maby driving 26 hours, delivering a buggy and looking at 2 and buying one, ( I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn Express though ) Well the addiction is going as well as can be expected ( NO RECOVERY IN SIGHT ) I sold the green buggy to a lady and her son, I sold the blue buggy to a guy in virginia beach that listed it on craigslist and thinks I am his uncle LOL, Now for the weekend adventure 26 hours of driving, 3 wrecks on interstates ( not me ) drove through 6 states, all of this I will tell in better detail when I start a post on my new toy # 26 ALLISON TENN. SHRINER BUGGY, YEP I GOT IT, SHES ALL MINE,took the red buggy to Missippi to its new home, went to Tenn and  looked at a second tenn. shriner buggy with the rear burnt from a engine fire but didnt think it would be wise to tow one and drive the other 13 hours, that + the girlfriend said there was no way in he!! she was pulling one for 13 hours LOL, so here she is my new pride and joy # 26 Kens Allison shriner buggy. And its got a sirene so people can get the heck out of the way when the girlfriend takes me to the nut house, or poor house, maby the poor nut house, something like that !!!!!                 Ken..........................

By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-12 14:16
CONGRATULATIONS KEN!!!!! Good to see your dreams come true.

Way to go!!!!!!!

brad
By Rick M 333 Date 2010-07-12 20:38
That's a great looking buggy. I saw it for sale, but it was too much for me at the time - good to see it found a nice home!
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-21 01:09
Well, not to be  too badly outdone by MR ALLISON, I have buggy number 5 being delivered Thursday night. Bought it sight unseen kind of just a handful of phone camera pictures, but it's cheap and it being delivered from 3 1/2 hours away for a case of cool ones. I'll take some pics and post them when it gets here. The front is kind of cool, but the rear looks like the creator just gave up and used an old cardboard box for the form. But it does have a roof and a neat dash.

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-21 03:47
Cool Brad so you get to keep the scotch, You may not have me beat on the numbers but definately got me beat on the price LOL. Post pictures when you get it and dont forget to check inside the box for a prize LOL.                   Ken................... 
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-23 00:19
Well, here it is, buggy #5, which is funny 'cause it's also X-0005 in the X-files. The pan is trash I forgot to get a picture of that I'll go get one right away. The glass is in very good shape only a few areas of spider cracks, but they went crazy witht he drill and there's about 60 bolts holding the roof on. and holes all over. Here's a few shot of it on the trailer, I'll go get some more before tonights thunderstorm hits.............

brad

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-07-23 02:10 Edited 2010-07-23 02:15
Its on your trailer I thought the guy was bringing it to you, Man Brad your new buggy is definately different. Im trying to figure out if it looks like a leprecan or a bull frog, It could be the frog that turned into a prince with a lot of work, its got character to me, and I love that manx bump on the nose, Hey Bruce I copied your buggy " how did I do " LOL, the dash has the design in the middle of the long bodied Allison dash, The back doesnt look that bad to me either, Im not making fun of it I think its pretty darn cool, and for only the price of a case of beer, Hey I thought you didnt want to build another buggy, congradulations on # 5. MORE RAIN THAT SUX               Ken...................
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-07-23 03:35
I had to meet the guy at work and pick it up from him. He drives hot shot for a heavy equipment dealership and was coming back with an empty trailer from up north. I'm kind of diggin' it but I haven't got another build in me for a while, 4 in 2 years is enough for now, I was just going to kijiji it, but my better half says to stick it out at my folks acreage for a year and think about it. Already have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head, but no ambition to build. And my next car is going to be my Beetle that I've owned for 23 years. After this summer (or lack of) I want an enclosed car I can even drive in the rain.  Might be working on a deal to get a 2275 motor, hope it goes through. Also picked up my over drive gear box today, so hope to put that in this weekend.

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-08-06 03:35 Edited 2010-08-06 03:38
Allright, havent had a buggy for weeks now, I am getting depresed, My Canadian BUDDY doesnt even talk to me anymore, think I will have a Jack and coke and go to bed LOL good night
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-08-06 16:39
Carefull Ken, don't replace one addiction with another LOL. Been busy thrashing on my car for September, my puppy is sick and work is swamped. I haven't forsaken you YET Ken LOL. Hope all is well with oyu and the shop is busy.

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-08-30 12:28 Edited 2010-08-30 12:39
IM BACK, Took a short break from buying and selling to get in some quality dune buggy driving time, that and the fact that I wasnt finding any that werent overpriced and I couldnt make a dollor on, So I feel off the wagon and bought a Viper and a basket case long spatz , Billy Bob hooked me up with a couple at the vw show in Kings Mountain NC, they came to my house sunday and are picking it up tuesday so I want even have it a week, I didnt even take pictures yet, I was going to clean it up first but it is moving homes fast, I will post the pictures from where I bought it, not a bad little buggy, wiring pretty nice and everything works including windshield wipers, BF Goodrich TA tradials that look brand new ( I could have used those for my Allison Shriner buggy and could have saved 500 dollors ) so here it is #27 b&n industries VIPER.

By Bill C 1975 Date 2010-08-30 21:00
Hey Kenny Boy, I'm looking for a commission on the sale of that buggy since I brought those nice people to you. I told them that you were an honest purveyor of fiberglass assembled air cooled driven machinery, that you weren't like some of those horse traders that tried to sell a blind mule for a thoroughbred stallion. I figure that that sale ought to get me a RC Cola and a Moon Pie, or at least a Rootbeer. Glad you were able to find a buyer.

Billy Bob
By Brad H 1498 Date 2010-08-30 21:43
Did you include a Ken Lee gas gauge? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

brad
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-08-31 00:29 Edited 2010-08-31 00:32
No problem on the moon pie, and you can have either a root beer or a RC cola but not both LOL,  Heck Billy Bob I might even throw in a little debbie cake or a twinkie !!!! Yea they really liked it and are supposed to come get it tuesday, Yes I treated them Fair I would rather move it quick for a small profit and move on to the next one, thanks for telling them about me !!!

No Brad this one has a gauge, unlike Vince I want have to worrie about them striking a match to check the fuel level LOL.

Have a great week guys !!!!!                      Ken ( Kenny Boy ) Lee........, Hey who tha heck you calling BOY    LOL.
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-09-15 23:29
Here are better pictures of #27, the one the nice people didnt come back to get like they said LOL.  Ken................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-09-15 23:35
Allright dont laugh it counts # 28 Spatz long boddy buggy, well at least part of it LOLgood body, windshield frame, 2 old mustang seats, a 1600 dp taken apart but all there, adapters, gas tank, etc, and it was cheap.         Ken.....................

By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-09-15 23:40
You know I must dream about dune buggys at night, I cant stop, I am out of control LOL, So here we go again # 29, not 100% sure but I believe it is a Sears Rascal II, another one that needs some TLC, that makes 4 in the shop to prepare for spring time to sell, here is # 29 Rascal II.            Ken...................

By jim s 1837 Date 2010-09-16 16:08
Ken I feel for you I have not even finished my first buggy yet and at the same time I'm thinking about the next project. Its true these things are habit forming.

Take care
Jim S
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2010-09-16 19:26
Yes Jim they are !!!!!! I have named a few, my shriner Allison is named " Alice ", the previous owners named my blue Allison  " Blue Moon Dune ", I named that little empi copy " Porky ' I sold it to a friend, as addicting as they are I may need to re-think the new names, Like Jack, Jim, Jose, Evan, Absolute, Southern Comfort, etc,etc,etc,   LOL.         Ken............................
By John S 2 Date 2010-09-20 19:33
Ken as many as you buy you will need to start naming them like they do Hurricanes.
A -Alice
B - Bob
C- Catrina...... :-)
founder
Previous Next Up Topic Public / General Discussion / dune buggy addicts (Page 2) (220058 hits)
1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next