the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Hello from North Carolina (12984 hits)
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-14 00:18
Hi -

I'm Bryan Ayers, from North Carolina, and I have a buggy addiction... (and the group says, 'Hi Bryan')

I have had a 1970 Meyers Manx SR for almost 2 years now, and just picked up a Bradley GT II for my 16 year-old son... it's some kinda' disease, I tell ya'!

We're looking into installing a 1.6 Turbo Diesel VW motor into the Bradley & shoot for 50mpg; my son is psyched about the bio-diesel aspect of it...

By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-08-14 16:24
Sweet! I've always liked the body style and I'm a fan of engine swaps. I like the originality of sporting a non-original engine and your idea of bio-diesel is a unique one for sure. Start a thread in the "Buggy build" section and keep us posted of your progress as the build progresses.

Jay
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-08-14 19:50 Edited 2009-08-14 19:55
Hi Bryan, looks like the one that was for sale in shalotte n.c, is it ? I was going to check on it on one of my trips to myrtle beach but didnt get around to it , it had the tubine wheels also, im in rock hill s.c, 15 minutes from charlotte n.c but go to cherry grove beach often, It will make a great father son project, good luck and have fun. You should post a picture of your manx also, there not a bad addiction, at lease you have something to show for it when your done.
By glassbuggy Date 2009-08-15 05:51
I think you may be interested in this Samba thread, maybe you already know about it but here it is anyway.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321791&highlight=diesel

Bart
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-16 03:54
Hey folks -

To answer a few questions:
Yes - this is the Bradley that was in Wilmington - chassis is roached on it, front beam is toast, but will salvage some of the parts. But then, I can't complain about the condition for the price paid... ;-)

I've been involved in the aircooled scene since 1981, so this is nothing new to me. I've done the VW watercooleds as well... now is the time to pass on the years of knowledge to the next generation in the family!

And my younger son has stated that he wants a Sterling...

Regards,

Bryan
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-16 03:55
My kid brother lives in Rock Hill - but he's not into cars...

Bryan
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-08-16 13:24 Edited 2009-08-16 13:26
I grew up on celanese by-pass and know denise ayers, his brothers name I believe is bryan is it you ? there was a good price on a avenger in greenville s.c not long ago, I will keep an eye out for a stearling, I also go to piedmont dragway and farmington dragway when they have the bug shoot outs, if you need anything let me know and i will keep a look out for you, i just got rid of a good chassis I had paid 75.00 for, I have a single port 1600 in my red allison,the blue allison truck I have has a locked up 1600 d.p., bought a used 1600 d.p from gastonia for 250 but havent run it yet carb is off and needs rebuilt, would love to have a strong running motor !! what part of n.c are you in ? anyway we are not to far apart so If I can be any help just let me know.     Ken
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-16 16:40
Ken -

I'm in Raleigh - grew up in WInston-Salem area. Looking for a titled IRS chassis for Bradley now -

Bryan
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-08-16 23:14 Edited 2009-08-16 23:16
whay year did they start irs and whats the most it should be worth, I will keep an eye out, I sold a 65 bug complete - motor with title not long ago for 300, e-mail me at mcdanielsfl@comporium.net so I have a way of getting in touch with you, the ad on your bradley said it had a rebuilt 1600 dual port, I am a paint and body man and fabricator but have never built engines,  have you checked out the motor and are you going to sell it, I have a spatz body ( gift from a aunt that has passed with cancer ) and extra shortened chassis so I could use another motor, going to do it as in loving memory of aunt Flo, Thanks Ken
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-17 03:41
The Bradley didn't have a motor in it - and IRS first came out on the '68 Autostick Beetles, then from '69-onward, all Beetles had IRS...

Bryan
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-08-18 12:24
There was still the odd swing axle car in the 70's. I worked on 2 of them at the aircooled shop I worked at years ago, and no they weren't retrofits, they were factory. My buddies 84 Puma was also swing axle.

brad
By Bryan A 229 Date 2009-08-18 15:39
VW-Germany switched all production on US-bound cars to IRS on Type 1 Beetles from 1969-up; most of the rest of the world received Balljoint front/swing axle rear suspension chassis for a number of years.

Brazilian/South American 'factory built Pumas' were assembled on swing axle chassis. The cars were offered as 'semi-complete kits' in the US into the '80's, but were shipped w/o suspension & drivetrains (IIRC) - the owner had to add the additional parts required.

As an aside, a company in South Africa is currently building Pumas & you can get one with a 2110cc motor for @ $25k...
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-08-19 04:59
The crated Puma "kits" had all the parts, you just had to put the wheels on and install the seats and motor. Here in Canada we got completed cars. I just about bought one last fall after doing extensive research, but was into my current project and didn't want to split time or resources.

Both the 70's swing axle cars I worked on were Canadian Standards something America never got, everything else we got was IRS. They had a stripped down trim package and are now very collectable. I wish I still had my '66 standard.

brad
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Introduce Yourself and Your Buggy / Hello from North Carolina (12984 hits)