the Dune Buggy Archives
DBA Forum - Not logged in
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Jim's Super T Build (69910 hits)
1 2 3 Previous Next  
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-14 04:27
Well, we got the Super T back from my buddy that's doing the welding and she looks great! I plan on giving her a quick once over with a wire wheel, since the bare metal has started to rust again. Then the POR-15 goes on and the the re-assembling starts. The front axel beam is almost all put back together with the exception on the disc break kit, but will wait till the beam is back on the buggy to do this. Bad news is our camera broke the other day, but I pick up the new one tomorrow and will get photos online real soon!

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-14 21:23
As you can see, the pan is finally starting to shape up and I hope to have it painted tomorrow so I can start re-assembling by the weekend. We also added supports for the running boards and I'm almost finished with the front axel beam, but I'm still not sure about the altered shock towers. To compensate for the fenders each side needed to be bent in the configuration you see, but the shocks just aren't mounting correctly. Plus I need to add a bracket that will connect the headlights, fender and shock tower together. I post more real soon!
Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-16 23:20
Well I finished painting the pan with POR-15. Re-assembling starts tomorrow!

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-17 03:59
Well I lied! I went ahead at started the re-build tonight. I installed the front axel beam, brake cable, clutch cable, spring plates, master cylinder  and of course the shifter. Tomorrow I'll work on the front disc brakes and then work my way toward the back.

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-18 01:36
Well I ran all of the brake lines, soft and hard as well as installing the pedal cluster, finished up on the axel beam and I started on the front disc brakes. Oh yeah, and I ripped a finger open.

Kellison Jim
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-07-18 03:14
Jim, easy on your fingers man! Looking good though. Got to love the POR 15. The gloss is out of this world. Keep up the good work ON THE BUGGY! :-)

Jay
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-18 17:20
I bought the buggy in May of '08 and started tearing her down shortly there after. In the mean time I started buying parts to restore it over the next 6 months. After all, how could I resist all of those new shiny parts in all of those catalogs and online.
Now jump ahead to this week....... I am amazed at how many new duplicate pieces and parts I've encountered in just one week. I thought I did a pretty good job cataloging everything I had and needed. But I guess I would rather have too much, then needing a part and not having it and having to wait until the part comes in to resume my built. A valuable lesson learned!
Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-24 03:53
Just finished cleaning, scraping and painting the Transmission along with the axel tubes and will re-assemble it tomorrow and hopefully have it mounted to the buggy tomorrow as well. Due to my buggy being originally set up for a Corvair engine, I had to pulll the ring gear from the right side and turn it around and install it on the left side. Hopefully I'll put the engine in it this weekend! So far so good on the buggy re-build with the only problem being that I can't get the rotors to slide all of the way onto the spindles. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if I was sent the wrong bearings and that the inside diameter is too small. It appears to be about a half inch shy of sliding all the way on.

Kellison Jim
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-07-25 02:55
Looking great Jim. I had troubles with my bearings going on too.  I polished the spindles with emory cloth but they are still pretty tight. You did remember the spacers right? I only ask because I forgot one a couple years ago when I changed a spindle to to contacting the curb after going through water with slicks (not a good idea). I couldn't figure out why the drum kept coming loose. Them are some whacky front shock towers. The pan looks killer. Looking forward to seeing more!

brad
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-26 22:02
I'm getting ready to mount the transmission, but want to make sure the axel tubes are lined up before I tighten every thing up. Only problem (well maybe) is that the swing axel swings pretty freely. Is it suppose to or did I put too many gaskets on each side, even though I measured the thickness of the ones that came off of it and they are the same. I put 3 on per side but if I was to remove 1 or 2 I would think that that would tighten up the swing axel just a bit. Any suggestions?

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-26 22:07
Brad, thanks! No I did not remember the spacers and as a matter of fact, I do not have them. I'll be on the phone with the vendor I purchased these from first thing on Monday. I also need to verify with him that I have the correct baerings
Kellison Jim
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-07-26 22:41
Jim, free moving axles are OK. it's when they start binding that there is an issue. If you put the same amount of gaskets in that came out you're good to go. Glad you caught the spacers.

brad
By Sandsurfer Date 2009-07-27 00:13
You want the tube to drag a bit but still drop under their own weight.
Jerry....
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-27 01:02
Jerry, that's what they're doing. Thanks guys!
Kellison Jim
By John S 2 Date 2009-07-27 03:11
I can't wait to see the carpet kit go in!
John
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-27 03:34 Edited 2009-07-27 03:39
John, as soon as MAM is ready to take orders, let me know and I'll pay you through Paypal. It looks like the buggy won't be ready in time for Aug 8th show in Pataskala. Hopefully it will be ready by the end of August, if not a little sooner.

I was also thinking of putting the battery in the front passenger side of buggy (same as previous owner) or possibly in the rear in front of rear axle. Any advantages to front versus back or vice versa?
Kellison Jim
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-07-28 05:46
Jim, The advantage of putting the battery in the front is a bit of weight up front where it's desperately needed. On the down side you now have to run long battery cables to the rear for power to the starter, but this is not a big deal. I use #3 welding cable (for power AND ground) which is very fine strand wire and carries current much better than regular battery cables. It also puts the battery closer to your higher amperage accessories such as headlight etc. Rear mounting means it's closer to the starter, shorter battery cables, which is good for hot starts and closer to the voltage regulator for keeping the battery charged. It also puts the weight at the back for traction and ready made battery mounts are available to hang it off the torsion housing.

brad
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-07-29 03:48
Brad, thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with the front mount.
Well the transaxle is in, boots attached, shocks, e-brake and brake line to left rear brake are all on. However, trying to save time Sunday by using a wire wheel instead of sand blasting the back plate on the right rear brakes, I knocked off the metal tab for the adjusters. So now I am awaiting a replacement.
I did contact lovinbuggies and the reason the front rotors won't fit properly is because I failed to order the Spacers. (Thanks Brad for reminding me!!) Gary over at lovinbuggies is lightning fast on shipping, so I expect them by Thursday. So with a little luck, OK a lot of luck, I will have the engine in by the weekend. Then I can start getting the body ready to be wired, but as Phil mentioned, I think I'll try to get it running and get the bugs worked out before the body goes on.

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-01 23:16 Edited 2009-08-01 23:20
Well the spacers for the disc brakes didn't come in, so I focused on the body today. I wet sanded the entire body, nose cone and tailgate with 1500 and then 2000 grit and will buff the body out once I get all of the holes drilled and cut for the lights, gauges, switches etc. However I did buff out the nose cone and tailgate and I also installed the rear brake lights and turn signals. They will get a final adjustment once everything gets wired. If I get time tomorrow I plan on cutting the holes in the dash and loosely fitting everything in place.

The original owner had the license plate bracket mounted dead center on the tailgate covering the Kellison logo and I really don't want to do that, so I guess I'll need to purchase a rear bumper and mount it to that. Gee! More money spent.

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-05 04:31
Still waiting on the spacers! I just piddled around the past couple of days and mounted and ran the battery and battery cable, Gas tank, connected clutch cable to clutch, drilled out and mounted gauges and switches. However I did solve a small problem. I couldn't figure out why the clutch pedal kept disconnecting from the cable and why the pedal would move all of the way back toward driver seat. Since the pedal assemby was moved back 6 inches I simply drilled a hole and installed a bolt through the floor directly under the clutch pedal so that the tab would hit the bolt and stop the pedal from flopping back toward the seat.
Hopefully my parts will come in and I can get the brakes on and get this baby rolling!

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-20 04:22
I am having one heck of a time of getting the Swing Axel Boots to seal properly! I put all of the screws in and hose clamps on, but when I squeeze the boots they seem to be blowing air. I've tried re-adjusting the clamps but to no avail. Granted I haven't put any fluid in the case, but at this point I am afraid too. Any tips?
Kellison Jim
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-08-20 05:09
Jim , short of using the factory solid boots you'll never get an air tight seal. The best you can hope for is keeping the oil in. put them on with the seam about 30-45* from straight up they will work better.

brad
By manxcraig Date 2009-08-20 23:28
Also the black rubbery ones work better then the colored plasticey type. (yes I know it's not a real word)
By Sandsurfer Date 2009-08-21 01:57
That battery looks like it will seriously limit the passengers foot space. 
Jerry....
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-21 03:37
It's not as bad as it appears. Granted the passengers left leg will have a slight bend to it, unlike his /her right, but I'll be confortable.
Kellison Jim
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-08-22 01:10 Edited 2009-08-22 01:12
The drivers the only one who has to be comfortable anyways ;-) Are you running a battery box Jim, If not a Miata or Civic battery would give you WAY more room.

brad
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-22 01:52
The battery box I am using is from JC Whitney and the battery is spec for a 1968 Bug.
Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-24 01:02 Edited 2009-08-24 01:10
Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on the buggy this past week, but I did paint the the outside of the liner with a bedliner paint and lined the interior of the liner with carpet. I just hope it matches the grey carpet from MAM.

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-27 00:52 Edited 2009-08-27 02:36
I've been piddling around with the buggy the past couple of nights. Tapped the wheels and installed center caps, finished routing + from battery and connected to starter, mounted tub to the pan, connected horn, seat belts and lined gas tank cage with left over rubber seal from pan/tub. I also painted part of the dash where gauges will go, installed gauges and switches and wiper motor. Not sure, but I might paint the background of the Kellison logo on dash the same grey and the logo itself maybe red. Any suggestions? And I'm finally getting the parts I ordered almost a month ago to finish the front end and then I'll install engine within a week.
I won't have it running for Larry's Off Road show on the 12th, but I'll trailer to the show and then off to my buddy's to have a couple small things fabricated and the wiring put in. I was joking with the wife telling her the first time I drive it will be when I take it to wninter storage. And I just might be right!

Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-08-27 03:18
Excellent work, the colors for the logo sound great, keep up the good work, wont be long now  !!!!
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-29 19:08 Edited 2009-08-29 19:23
She's finally on all four!!!! I am really pleased how the original wheels and tires turned out. Granted I wouldn't want to drive it too fast or far on those tires, but I like the look. As for the wheels, there was alot of elbow grease to get them to look that good and some paint as well. And I like the Kellison center caps I had made.

My new windshield as well as the carpet I ordered from MAM were both shipped yesterday, so at least I'll have everything I need to finish her in time for Larry's Off Road's Bugjam. She won't be running, but she'll be there!

Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-08-29 22:23
Good job, centers look great buggy looks great !!!
By Brad H 1498 Date 2009-08-30 13:53
The car is looking GREAT Very well done Jim, Keep up the good work. I'll assume you got the front bearing issues cleared up ?? :-) Center caps are a very nice touch

brad
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-30 15:45
Brad,
It took a month,  but the spacers finally came in this past Friday. I was hoping to put the engine in but am having some issues with it. When turing it by hand it only will rotate about 95% of a turn and then it sounds like it hits a brick wall and does the same in the other direction. I will be on the phone today with the guy I bought it from and see if we can get the problem resolved.
Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-08-30 23:46
Slept most of the day, but did put the body on to make some final cuts, take some measurements and to make sure everything lines up. Body will come off tomorrow and I'll glass over the PVC so I'll have something to run the wiring through from the engine compartment to the front. Then I'll add all fluids and hope nothing leaks. Bleed brakes, adjust the tow in etc.

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-09-03 03:26
I received the buggy carpet from MAM yesterday and installed most of it last night, but still have a little work to do on it. I am very happy with the carpet set and at $109.99, it was easy on my wallet as well.

Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-09-06 00:32
I installed seat brackets and seats, windshield, front headlights and turn signals today along with finishing up on some small items. I only have one seat cover and plan on looking into sacrificing the one and have 2 new ones made from it. My seats are an odd size and I have been unable to locate replacements. Any ideas?

Kellison Jim
By Allison Daytona Ken Date 2009-09-06 03:59
Yea as nice as its looking you should have some nice upolstery ones made with logo stiched in the headrest, that would go nice with your dash emblem and center caps, getting closer and looking good !!!     Ken.....
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-09-06 04:17
Ken,
I like the idea of the logo in the headrest!
Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-09-08 01:28
I finished the pan today and all though there were a bunch of leaky brake lines, they were all fixed with a turn of a wrench. Wow! I never bled brakes from scratch, as in new Master Cylinder, brake lines, hard and soft. That took awhile! I also greesed all fittings, filled transaxle (no leaks so far), aligned the front end and last but lot least, doubled checked all nuts and bolts. I lack just a few minor details with the body and she'll be done as well.
Kellison Jim
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-09-10 03:01
Well, I finished the body last night and put her on the pan tonight. I double checked all nut and bolts as I went and did find a couple that needed tightened. Other then putting the engine in, I only have minor items on the pan, body and interior to complete. Some of those will be done over the winter. After the BugFest at Larry's Off Road Center on Saturday, I will being taking her to a buddies to start the wiring and making some brackets to help support the fenders along with one to help support the steering post. I'll get some better photos of her tomorrow!
Kellison Jim
By manxcraig Date 2009-09-10 03:55
Its sure came a long way in one year, see you Saturday.
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-09-10 04:49
Craig,
  That makes 3 DBA'ers that I'm aware of! Phil T will be there as well. Unfortunately, I will have to trailer her in seeing that my engine isn't in yet. 
Kellison Jim
By Phil T 560 Date 2009-09-10 16:45
Yep, I still plan to be there. Barring any further crisis at work!
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-09-10 22:53
Here are some better pics of the Super T.

Kellison Jim
By ManxRob Date 2009-09-11 00:20
I like the stance of your new ride! And the wheels, and the clean chassis, and ... everything!

Nice job!

Your seats look like they might be Porsche 914 seat with the head-rests removed. Post a picture of the seat tracks and let us take a look.

Rob
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-12 12:03
Jim, I've been following along in your build. Very nice job. What's the story on the liner? Is this something that is still available for the Kellison? Did you have it custom fabricated? This is the first time I've heard of a liner like this that is free standing and not glued to the actual inside of the fiberglass, so I'm curious.

Keep up the great work.
Jay
By John S 2 Date 2009-09-12 15:31
Jay,
Many of these T bodies are built with 2 pieces to the body just like this, including the Berry Mini T.
I was just commenting to Jim that I think his build is the only documented build I have seen that
shows the tub insert being built.

Remember the molds from TN that were posted, there were inner tubs and body molds.
2 separate parts to the T buggies. In fact I think the Mini T four was even made this way.
Many of the later body changed the configuration to make a single (cheaper) kit.

John
John Shepard the DBA DuneBuggyArchives.com
founder
By Jay H (X-20) (ManxVair CC) Date 2009-09-13 02:09
Ahh, John thanks for the clarification. I take it the insert is also fiberglass then.

Jay
By Kellison Jim Date 2009-09-28 02:39
While my buddy finishes up the electrical work on the buggy I have been cleaning up the engine and putting it back together. And a big Thank You to ManxCraig for coming up with belt/pulley cover for my Type III cooling. Keep your fingers crossed as I hope to have her running within the week.

Kellison Jim
Previous Next Up Topic Public / Dune Buggy Build Showcase / Jim's Super T Build (69910 hits)
1 2 3 Previous Next